Best Friends at First Sight

*****
(Stevie said)

Ally was right on time this morning. And she opened the door for me as if it was part of a routine.

"Good morning, Stevie," Ally said. She gave me a smile. "I missed you yesterday."

I was not sure if she was serious about missing me

"Good morning, Ally," I replied as I fastened my seat belt. "Hey come on we both know you were busy yesterday. Gossip Gay told us so."

"I know you were too." I was not sure if she was pertaining to Gaby.

"So you signed up for the auditions. I didn't known you sing."

"I do but only in the shower. You wanna join me in the shower?"

"Excuse me?" I stared at her--I wanted to seek if she was joking. Or was she flirting with me?

"Ooops. That went out wrong. I mean do you want to hear me sing? We already started rehearsing at Maria's place yesterday so I know the piece. We can practice together."

My heart cringed. Is there something really going on with Ally and Maria? I needed to find out. Besides, Gaby told me to keep the enemy closer so I was hitting two birds in one stone. "The only afternoons I am free are on Thursday and on Friday. Since you have basketball on Friday, we can do it on Thursday."

"I cannot wait that long. We can do it every night after our varsity practices and other meetings. I am sorry for being pushy. I just feel the pressure! I really like Maria and I know getting the lead role will make her happy."

"Can you tell me how will that work? I also wanted Gaby to get in." I had to respond that way. I was freaking jealous.

"Since we live near each other, it's the perfect setup. I can drop by your house or we can do it at mine and then I will bring you home. That would mean you get to rehearse too--for Gaby. Do we have a deal?"

"Yes. But it is still a competition. May the best duo get the lead."

*****
(Ally said)

I already sealed the deal of evenings with Stevie. I told Stevie that I would wait for her after her volleyball practice--we planned on rehearsing at my place. I breezed through the day, floating among the clouds and just excited to be with her--this time longer than our usual morning carpool.

I was doing my homework in the library when some boy sat beside me. I looked around to check if the library was full--it was not. I transferred two seats away from him but he followed.

"If you are in any way my secret admirer, I am gay okay?" I said, trying to be cool about it.

"You could be my type but I have a feeling we are meant to be best friends. Are you Ally Hills?" the boy responded.

"Yes, I am Ally. Do I know you?"

"If you signed up for my musical, then you should."

I returned a puzzled look. "Are you the director? Uhmm Daryl K. Padilla?

"Close but not quite. I am Danny J. Padilla."

"So how can I help you Danny J. Padilla?"

"Will you answer some of my queries?"

"Is it part of the audition?"

"Maybe." He scratched his head.

"Oh. Okay. I will try."

"Why are you auditioning in the first place?"

"Just so you know, Maria dragged me into it."