Prom Night

*****
(Ally said)

The news that the prom committee will not accept gay pairs had caught us all in surprise. Who knew Pab High could be retrograding?

I was supposed to ask Stevie to be my date but I guess we cannot enter the venue hand-in-hand and should just resort to dancing like gal pals.

"Well Gossip Gay said there will be a prom at the parking lot of the venue," Shannon said during practice. "Maybe we can go there, but, you and Stevie have to take me as your third wheel."

"Oh Shannon... the three of us will be on a date," I answered. Shannon and Cammie broke up recently. They were one of the pairs hit by the gaypocalypse. "We will have a great time!"

"Guys, guys!!! I have another sad news. Those who will attend the prom organized by Gossip Gay may face disciplinary sanctions," Elliot butted in without catching her breath. "They will not issue letters of recommendation for seniors who will be attending."

"What the f*ck!?!" We screamed in unison.

*****
(Gossip Gay said)

Hey there Pabbers! Gossip Gay here.

I may have to cancel promay so as not to risk the future of all of you who want to join.

This is not defeat. Again... THIS IS NOT DEFEAT. Remember we will rise up bolder than ever.

See you later suckers,

Gossip Gay

*****
(Stevie said)

"Wow, this is the first time Gossip Gay bowed to the school's demand," I said. "I sense fear."

"I am disappointed," Ally said, shaking her head. "If Gossip Gay cannot do it, then I will."

I was surprised. I didn't think Ally would care about prom. She hadn't even asked me to go with her despite my too obvious hints.

"You may get into trouble, Ally. Please remember you are a graduating senior. Think about your future."

"Screw their recommendations! I will get into the university I want without those. What's important right now is we get recognized by the school. We have worked our assess out to be heard. I won't let them bully us for a piece of paper."

"I get your point but please be careful."

"Alright. I will be." She held my hand. "I just need to make some calls now. I'll see you tomorrow."

She kissed me on my forehead. I tried walking her out of my house but she was too preoccupied.

"Hello, Margot?" I heard Ally say before she disappeared in the dark. "I am in... but I need a huge favor first."

*****
(Ally said)

Margot is one of my ex girlfriends. Despite my advocacy of completely cutting ties with ex's, I kept in touch with her. She is the type who gets things done no matter what. Many say dealing with her is like dealing with the devil--but it doesn't bother me. I still admire her work ethics.

I called Margot to pull off a liberation prom for Pab High. I put my trust in her that no one would know it's me.

"Is that all, Allison?" Margot asked.

"Uhmmm and I need a limo," I answered. "Maybe 20 of the big ones."

"Consider it done. But are you sure you want to deal with the devil?"

"You have my word, Margot. And come on, it was not me who nicknamed you that. Let's talk again after the prom."

I was up all night planning and pulling the strings.

*****
(Stevie said)

It was early morning on prom day. I was woken up by the doorbell ringing. I peeked through my window and found Ally carrying her guitar with a wireless amplifier. She looked up and gave her warmest smile.

"I'm coming down!," I shouted.

"There's no need. I just want you to listen," she answered.

"Oh... okay."

She cleared her throat and strummed her guitar.

"You stormed to our party, too furious
I found myself staring, so curious
If you told me to bend the knee, I would, your grace
But you slapped me hard on my face..."

I chuckled because of her reference. She went on.

"I always wondered when I would see you again
Oh girl you seemed to be stuck in my brain
When fate had me closer to you
I said, 'I will never ever make her blue'

So will you be my secret date to the prom?
Let's wear pretty dresses and our heels on
We will dictate the beat and dance the night away
And have the best night without them knowing we're gay..."

"That's beautiful, Ally!" I said with much appreciation. "Of course, it will be my honor to be your secret date."

"Thank you, Stevie!" She handed me a bouquet of flowers that she hid behind the flower pots. "I'll see you later, beautiful!"

As soon as Ally left, I did the necessary preparations. By five in the afternoon, Ally was again in my front porch. She was wearing a black dress, Doc Martens and a hat. Before we could even react and give each other compliments, a huge limo honked.

"I think our friends are in a hurry," Ally said. "Shall we?"

I smiled and nodded. She offered her hand and I took it. Our other friends were already comfortably sitting in the car. Shannon handed us a drinks.

"I would like to propose a toast to us!" she advised. "As our days in our senior year are numbered, may we continue to make the most of it."

"TO US!" All of us answered.

We already started the party by singing along the loud music. We took photos here and there.

"Why are we stopping here? The school's still three blocks away," Danny said when the driver pulled over an old warehouse.

We noticed more cars arriving and more of our batchmates also started wondering. Our phones buzzed at the same time.

"Hello Pab Seniors! This is not Gossip Gay and that's what you need to know. I brought you all here to decide for yourselves and not just accept what others tell us to do--not be coerced. For those who do not want to join, there's a school bus waiting for you that will bring you to school where the prom is happening. For those who want to hold your date's hand, to dance with your friends, to make a statement, to simply be you... stay, be liberated."

*****
(Ally said)

While a handful went back to school, word got out to other high schoolers who we gladly accepted to the event.

"Whoever planned this is awesome!" I heard someone say.

"I'm proud of you, Ally," Stevie whispered to me. "I know it's you and your secret is safe with me."

Stevie rested her head on my shoulder. We continued dancing and showing off our gayness.

Margot appeared all of a sudden. She was at a corner, taking a sip from her drink. When our eyes met, she winked and gave me an evil smile--I felt the need to hold Stevie tighter in my arms.