Prologue

I flipped my blonde hair up into a messy updo as I started my car, tears streaming down from my brown eyes and onto my face. I scrolled through my phone to my mom's number, pressing the call button and putting it on speaker phone.
"Mom?" I said, speeding down the road. "Please be at home."
"I am, what's wrong?" Her voice sounded frantic. "Did something happen with Sage?"
"Well no, not technically," I sniffed. "She just showed something to me, and it's got to do with Reegan."
"Yeah? Amber, concentrate on the road, honey," she urged.
"Mom, he cheated," I bawled. "He sent Sage a picture of him kissing some girl at some party. That same girl he's been hanging out with by his school."
I stopped at a red light, a sob ripping through my chest.
"Oh, baby," she cooed. "I know this is going to sound harsh, but he's all the way in Australia and we're here in California. I think you're too young to make such a distance like that work, obviously eyes will be wondering. Just look how you hung out with that other guy... Troy, was his name. You hung out with him a few times and I'm sure it was more than just innocent fun."
I drove on again, not focusing on the road as rain continued to pelt down onto my car.
"It was innocent!" I argued. "We did nothing! You're literally sticking up for Reegs when he's fucking some skank."
"Of course I'm not doing that," she snapped at me.
I bawled harder, my chest aching. We had been together for two years and he had moved away about five months ago. He could of been cheating on me the entire time.
"Honey?" My moms voice was gentle. "Just focus on the road and when you get home, we'll talk about this. I love you."
I muttered a goodbye and threw my phone onto the passenger seat as I wiped viciously at my face.
Her name was Kelly. Apparently he was her mentor.
Reegan and Sage are siblings. Their parents are divorced and Sage stayed with her mom while Reegan moved with his dad. Sage was obviously my best friend and shipped the entire relationship between her brother and I. He was a year older than us, making him eighteen.
I pressed harder onto the accelarator, thinking back to when he had told me that he was assigned to show her around the school and such. Yet he was kissing her in that picture.
He claimed he sent it to the wrong person, but to me, it was exactly the right person. Who knew, maybe he wanted to break up. He wasn't the very best guy ever, but the best boyfriend I had ever had. He was a bit too carefree at times and just didn't think. It was frustrating. Maybe this was for the best.
To be honest, I was attracted to this Troy my mom spoke of. We went out for dinner a lot and flirted a bunch of times. It was only about two months ago and I stopped hanging out with him after we had accidentally pecked each other. I cried harder at the thought of me cheating as well.
I saw a traffic light change to yellow and I quickly sped up, wanting to make it across. But nature had other plans.
My cars tires skidded across the tar on the road, flipping the car completely as another car drove into the side of me.
After a few seconds, both cars had stopped, unfortunately for me, mine was upside down.
I cried even harder as pain ripped through my entire body. I heard a lot of shouting as people ran up to the cars.
Someone released the seatbelt buckle and I dropped onto the roof of my car, my head hitting the metal. I blacked out immediately.

Amber Tryland