Chapter Five

"The seniors don't come to school everyday for the next two weeks because they're writing finals. Only the seniors that write that particular subject on that particular day come to school. The others stay home and study," Avery explains.
I nod. I had asked where Reegan was since I hadn't seen him all day. Right now, we were at lunch, sitting in the cafeteria. I had my tray filled with food, a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, a toasted bacon and cheese sandwich and a bottle of drinking yogurt. I wasn't shy about how much I eat.
"That's good to know," I stab my fork into the spaghetti. "I think if I had to see Kelly and Reegs together, I would've lost it. Rammed them over with this thing."
Avery laughs and I think back to this morning.
Kelly had two girls, freshmen as well, with her as she stared me down, but I stared back with vengeance. I had told her that she better stay out of my way because I wasn't falling for her tricks. She had then continued to brag about how much Reegan hates me and loves her. I obviously knew she was lying.
"That bitch just grinds my gears," I snap.
Avery smiles sympathetically, looking over my shoulder.
"I'm, uh, gonna go to the... Uhm, bathroom, while you finish," she quickly gets up, grabbing her tray.
"Okay," I scrunch my eyebrows together as she takes off.
I hurriedly finish my spaghetti and move onto my sandwich as I hear the chair across from me scrape across the floor.
"That was quick," I laugh and look up.
"Bam."
"What are you doing here?" I spit.
"You never said you're in a wheelchair, Sage didn't tell me either," Reegan looks upset.
"Well, I didn't think it concerned you at the time," I say. "And I still don't think it concerns you up until this moment."
"Please, just stop," he sighs. "You know how sorry I am. It was my fault as well but I didn't have the intent to cheat on you."
I shrug, shoving the last bite of the sandwich into my mouth and swallowing hard as I took a huge gulp of the yogurt. I still felt so comfortable with him.
"Why are you in a wheelchair?" He asks, moving a seat closer to me.
"Legs don't work," I murmur. "If you had just not sent that picture to Sage, this wouldn't of happened, Reegan."
"How does that have anything to do with me?" He defends himself.
"On the day I crashed, I saw that picture that you sent Sage, of you kissing Kristin. I was crying so much I couldn't see the road!" I accuse.
He looks sympathetic and full of regret. His face soon hardens as a certain red haired bitch sits next to him, taking his hand.
"I see you guys have gotten together!" She squeals.
"Go away," I grit my teeth. "You're not welcome in this world."
She smirks at me, kissing Reegans cheek and he shrugs her off of him, getting to his feet.
"Reegy baby, don't be like this just because your ex-girlfriend is here," she smiles at me. "You know how we act when we're alone."
I mentally gag. I feel my eyes fill with tears at her words though.
"Bam, please," Reegan sits next to me.
I shake my head, putting the tray on my lap and quickly wheeling to the trash can. I proceed to throw it in there and wheel myself out, my tears leaking onto my cheeks.
"Amber, please," I hear Reegan call out after me, his footsteps getting closer. "Please, it's not my fault. I need to be with you, not her."
I come to a halt, whipping myself around.
"You've been with her Reegan, you didn't tell me about it, I don't trust you, end of discussion," I snap.
He wipes his hands with his face, groaning.
"Please just fucking listen for once! You're so stubborn, it's unbelievable!" He yells.
"Don't shout at me!" I yell back. "How dare you not think of my feelings as well? I'm a person, just like you, I also know how tough life can be! Look at me, I'm in a damn wheelchair!"
His jaw sets as he stares me down. He shakes his head before turning and walking away.
"Yeah. Just go," I mutter.
"I'm glad to see you've given up on him," a sinister voice says.
I look to the side to see that Kelly has come out the other cafeteria doors.
"It's your fault," I say. "What kind of a person does that to another person? Especially us girls. We shouldn't turn on each because we know exactly how tough life can be, Kelly. I can't even use my legs and you're making life so much more difficult for me. What did I ever do to you? I don't even know you yet you're making my life hell. Reegan and I dated for two freaking years. In just over a month, it would've been three. You ruined that for me."
She looks taken aback at what I say as I struggle to keep my tears in.
"Well I hate you," she murmurs.
I nod, turn myself around and then wheel to my next class.
"You won't have him again!" She calls.
I shake my head, finally getting to my literature class and wheeling myself in. No one is in here yet so I choose a desk and bang my forehead onto it, sighing as my chest aches.
I loved him so much, and now that I've seen him, I realized that I still do. I would do anything to get back what we had.
I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders and I heave as I let all my sadness out.
"I hate them," I cry.
"I know," Avery says. "You didn't deserve that at all."
"I need to just get my legs working," I sniff. "I need my life back."
Hopefully, by then, I wouldn't feel like I was falling apart.

Kelly Ferner