28. All is well... for now^

"Rory! Harry!"

Hermione was tugging at our sleeves, staring at her watch. "We've got exactly ten minutes to get back down- before Dumbledore locks the door -"

"Okay," I said quietly, forcing myself to look away from the empty sky, "let's go..."

Slipping through the doorway we hurried down a dangerously steep staircase, only to here voices once we reached the bottom. It was Snape and Fudge.

"The Kiss will be performed immediately?" Snape asked, sounding excited.

"Yes, as soon as Macnair has returned. I'm looking forward to informing the Daily Prophet about this."

As soon as their footsteps died away; we darted from our hiding place. Down one staircase, and another...

Breaking into a run as Hermione declared we had three minutes left, I began to panic. "Hermione, what happens if we don't get back in time?" I asked.

"I don't want to think about it!" Hermione moaned, checking her watch again. "One minute!"

Reaching the corridor where the hospital wing was, I spied Dumbledore emerging from the doors.

"I am going to lock you in," I heard him say. "it is five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

Dumbledore backed out of the room, closed the door, and took out his wand to magically lock it.

Panicking, we all ran forward and Dumbledore gave us a knowing smile as we approached him. "Well?"

"We did it!" I grinned breathlessly. "Sirius has gone, on Buckbeak..."

Dumbledore beamed. "Well done. Now yes, go inside, I'll lock you in."

Slipping back inside, there was silence as both Ron and Cole were asleep. The high from all we had done was wearing off now, I was giddy with happiness.

As soon as I lay back down on my bed, Madam Pomfrey appeared.

"Did I hear the headmaster leaving? Am I allowed to look after my patients now?"

She was in a very bad mood, so I quietly ate the chocolate given, wondering how far away Sirius was by now. Maybe he'd go abroad, go on some foreign beach somewhere and smile all the time....

Suddenly, a distant roar of fury echoed from above.

"What was that?" said Madam Pomfrey in alarm.

The voices were getting closer and louder, and I put my hand on my wand, wondering if I'd need to attack anyone.

"He must have apparated, Severus. We should have left somebody in the room with him-"

"HE DIDN'T DISAPPARATE!" Snape roared, in reply. "YOU CAN'T APPARATE OR DISAPPARATE INSIDE THIS CASTLE! THIS - HAS - SOMETHING - TO - DO - WITH - POTTER OR OSWIN!"

"Severus - be reasonable - both Harry and Aurora have been locked up -"

BANG.

The door of the hospital wing burst open. Snape looked livid. "OUT WITH IT, POTTER AND OSWIN!" he bellowed. "WHAT DID YOU BOTH DO?"

"Professor Snape!" shrieked Madam Pomfrey. "Control yourself!"

"See here, Snape, be reasonable," said Fudge. "This door's been locked, we just saw -"

"THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE, I KNOW IT!" Snape howled, pointing at us. His face was twisted; spit was flying from his mouth.

"Calm down, man!" Fudge barked. "You're talking nonsense!"