4. Diagon Alley ^

It took me a couple weeks, but soon enough I warmed up to being a part of the Lupin family. Already I felt at home, and Gennie was spending a couple hours each day educating me on the Wizarding World. It made me feel less stupid, that I actually had a chance when I started school.

Gennie and I were pretty much best friends all ready, connected by laughing at stupid jokes and memories of our past. But I couldn't help feel guilty at my budding friendship with Gennie, because of Kayley.

A few days after I'd been at the Lupin house, I plucked up the courage to phone her. I kept replaying the memory in my head, late at night when I should be sleeping.

"Whatever you're selling, we don't want it, piss off!" Kayley shouted on the phone as she finally picked up.

"No, no, it's me. It's Rory." I said quickly, before she hung up.

"Oh. Hi. Mind telling me where you've disappeared too? Your sister said you got send away, you were mental. Was she right?" Kayley said, sounding angry.

I wrapped the phone cord around my finger, cursing Lacey with every bad spell Gennie had told me. "Yes, well, no. I've been sent to another school, a boarding school. It, um has a summer induction programme so I'll be gone all summer."

"Thanks for telling me. Not as if I'm your best friend." Kayley said bitterly. I felt tears bud up in my eyes. Remus had decided it was best I didn't tell Kayley I was a witch, it could cause a lot of problems.

"I only found out when I got home from school on my birthday, sorry." I mumbled.

"What happened in Chemistry anyway? Did you finally snap?" Kayley said, and she sounded both nervous and curious.

A long silence went between the two of us, the longest ever. "You saw what happened, I pushed Adeline, and her extensions caught on the fire."

"You're a liar, Aurora Oswin." Kayley had scoffed on the phone. "I saw-I don't know what I saw, but please, tell me I'm not going crazy!"

Paniking, I muttered, "Uh sorry Kayley, I have to go... Uh, drill practice starts soon-"

"Don't leave me hanging!" Kayley said, irritated.

"I wish I could explain to you, but I can't, it could put you in danger." I said, my voice wavering at the edge of tears. "I'll try and call you when I can, bye Kayley."

And I hung up before she could reply.

I hadn't spoken properly to Kayley since then. For the first couple of weeks she phoned every Monday and Friday, updating me on what was happening, the two of us ignoring the elephant in the room. Calls were becoming less frequent now, and I hadn't heard from her in almost a fortnight.

But Remus and Gennie helped me get my mind from my crumbling friendship. Over bowls of spaghetti Remus would tell me stories about my parents, leaving me hungry for more that I couldn't get. I wanted to bond with my mum over her love for art and ask my dad for advice on messy hair, I wanted to hug them both and never let go.

But that wasn't possible, and I was left to mourn for the parents I never knew.

Gennie however, was annoyed at her dad. He'd gottten his first long-term job in years-but it was as Defence against the Dark Arts Professor. Gennie wasn't embarrassed by him at all, she was worried about the cursed job and how he would handle his condition.

Those were the worst nights, the ones when the moon was high. I'd cower in the attic with a candle and baseball bat while Gennie controlled her father in the basement in wolf form, howls and barks echoing from far below.