22: It was a lie when they smiled and said, "You won't feel a thing."

A/N: my heart has been pounding from the moment i started writing this chapter (and still is) and i almost gave myself a panic attack, oops. thankfully it's very short.

and if it makes you feel any better, i cried thinking about this too. i knew it was coming since like the very beginning and i've been dreading acutally writing it...

i listened to the black parade while writing it too and it ended right at the end of mama which killed me actually and then of course sleep came on right after which is what i listened to while editing so, you know, great times... and now im listening to famous last words ha

we can get through this. it can only get better from here, and i promise it will.

tw for blood, sharp objects, if you're triggered by descriptions of surgery or being cut, etc. you know whats coming now.

if you arent able to read this one, dm me on any of my social media accounts and i can give you a non detailed brief explanation of what happened.

~

"So," Doctor Wallace smiled at her colleague, "Shall we begin?"

Doctor Kawalski nodded, "Gladly."

Wallace turned and signaled at one of the other medical officials, who was already wearing a face mask and scrubs, complete with the rubber head cap as well.

"Meet us in the lab," she ordered.

Then, she and Kawalski began heading over to the large operating room.

"I have to ask," he began, pausing as they reached the door, "How the hell did you manage to figure out the anesthesia dosage? I mean... it's systems are very similar to that of ours of course, but how could you possibly be sure it won't kill it?"

Wallace looked at him, expressionless.

"We can't. Which is why we won't be using anesthesia."

The scientist's eyes widened.

"Operating without drugs? And what happens if it wakes up?"

"Doctor Kawalski, I assure you the restraints will work perfectly fine. It won't interfere with our work."

He exhaled and ran a hand over his bald head.

"Whatever you say ma'am. But if this thing dies on us you know every single person here is going to lose their fucking job."

Wallace remained emotionless.

"Doctor Kawalski I assure you there is nothing to worry about."

She pushed into the lab without another word.

~

The two other scientists from the team, O'Donnell and Johnson, suited up in their scrubs and began to wheel the hospital bed hurriedly down to the lab. Wallace was waiting, and she had a reputation for being impatient.

The specimen began to stir as they made their way past the various other rooms and down the corridor, and the instant its eyes snapped open in terror, Johnson signaled for a nearby officer to follow them. They needed to keep this thing unconscious for as long as possible.

All Zero could see was the blurred glare of bright white lights, painful to their watery and drowsy eyes. Their mind was clouded and flooding with noise from the humans around them. They couldn't control the flow of information anymore, they had no energy remaining, left exhausted from the struggle against these people. The best they could do was sift through it all, trying to pinpoint the familiar presence of Frank's mind. They found nothing.