chapter 5

Chapter 5 ~

            “I need to go,” I said without looking at Drake. “Jake will be expecting me.” Drake nodded while grabbing his car keys.

            We arrived in front of my house but I continued sitting in the car. “Are you okay?” Drake looked at me worriedly.

“Yeah. I’ll call you later.” I slowly got out of the car and walked to the door. I knew Drake was still waiting in the driving way for me to get safely into the house, yet I could make myself turn around and wave goodbye before I entered the house shutting the door behind me.

            I don’t know what I was expecting to find when I arrived home. Anger, worry, sadness, my brother, or maybe even my parent, all I know is it that when I arrived home I found none of that. What I did find was Lily, sweeping the kitchen floor.

“Hey,” I sighed as I collapsed onto one of the kitchen chairs.

“Well hello Miss I’m-never-going-to come-home-at-night-anymore,” she responded teasingly. So she didn’t know about all the rumors? She would be madder if she did right? I’m surprised my brother did tell her.

“What didn’t your brother tell me?” What how could she have possibly known what I was thinking?

“Did I-,” I started.

“Yup, you said that out loud. Now what didn’t your brother tell me and where have you been? Did you finally decide to move out?”

“Not exactly, but I’m sure Jake would prefer if I did.”

“Why would he ever want you to leave?” she asked shocked. “You two are so close I’ll be surprised if he ever lets you leave.”

            I sighed. Did I really want to tell this story all over again?

            Around an hour later, Lily stared at me with no words. I decided to just tell her the fast version. That somehow my secret had gotten out, all the boys are crazy, and a ton of rumors are spreading. And of course the very important detail, my brother believes ever one of them. Okay so maybe I left out the other very important detail which was Drake but I’d work that in later.

            Lily finally broke out of her state of shock when the door slammed closed. Jake walked into the kitchen and both Lily and I spared a quick glanced at each other.

“Why are you here?” Jake glared at me before quickly looking down at watch, “Well I do suppose that it is still a bit too early for you to be leaving to hit the street corners anyway.” Did he just call me a prostitute?! I was utterly shocked.

Luckily Lily immediately jumped to my defense, “You will not talk to your sister like that. Ever. Do you understand me!?”

“She is not my sister! And boy, am I glad about that!” I gasped as he continued to glare at me. I felt tear start to well up in my eyes. Lily stared at him shocked.

“I can’t believe you said that to her. I don’t care whether you are angry at her or not. She is your sister and always will be; so start treating her like it. You are supposed to protect your little sister at times like this, not make everything worse. Now fix this. I’m going home to phone your parents.” Lily stormed out of the house leaving Jake and I alone.

            Slowly Jake turned to me, “Once Mom and Dad find out how much of a slut who’ve become I’m sure they won’t include you as part of the family either.” With that I ran up the stairs and into my bedroom slamming the door behind me. As soon as the door was closed I slid down the wall sobbing. After sitting there for a few minutes I started to crawl towards my closet. I know how weird that sounds but when I was little there weren’t as many hiding spots in my room as there were in my closet. As I got older I realized how by sitting behind the clothes in my closet I was easily muffled. So from then on whenever I was excruciatingly depressed and needed to cry for a while, I’d go to my closet. After about 5 minutes I heard a soft knocking on my bedroom door. “Madison?” Pause. “Mads it’s me. Can I come in?” Pause. Sigh. “Madison, I’m sorry.” After that I figured he would leave but instead my ears were greeted with the sound of the door softly opening and then clicking shut again. Following that was a quietly muttered, “Shit,” along with some beeping which I supposed was coming from his phone. As I was correct, about a minute later I heard him start speaking.