2

He was sitting in his office playing with his beloved knives over some paperwork when I finally first began with him.

"Luciano, there is something I must tell you." All monotone unchangeability.

"What?" Met with all snappy impatience.

"I love you," I stated, still hardly inflicting anything behind it. I was not the type of man to beat about the bush, especially with important things, which was something Luciano appreciated, though it did not really assist me much in this declaration, I knew.

I saw one perfectly defined eyebrow twitch in annoyance, and - knowing what was to follow - tensed minutely before he lunged at me with a knife and I stepped out of the way of the darting silver streak.

"What do you mean?" he demanded, and I was still calm in replying, aware that he was not really pissed off at me, just annoyed - probably even more with simply being interrupted from his absent-minded play even than my actual reason for interrupting - as he huffed angrily and glared fiercely at me.

"Exactly what I said," I elaborated helpfully. "I just thought you should know. It should not matter-it gives no one any leverage over you, only me, and the only person I think could possibly use that is you." I knew precisely what Luciano was concerned about; anything concerning manipulation and leverage, pain and control - that was what mattered to Luciano most. And though he would never say it, it was because he was afraid - deeply so - of such things being turned against him. I kept my face blank though, and my voice uninflected, though Luciano was aware that I knew this little black secret of his. He had reacted harshly the first time he discovered I knew of his sole fear, but he had not really been surprised that I had found out; he was not blind to the fact that I was far more in tuned to him and his life - his personality and soul, his wants and desires and hidden confessions - than most other people ever stood the slightest chance of being.

"Leave. Now," he gritted between his teeth. And I promptly turned to leave. But I couldn't keep a small, victorious smile off my face: he had accepted the information, and was doing nothing about it - for now.