Pilot

I walk up the steps of the massive white building. The Jeffersonian Institution. I smile when I see the famed Dr. Temperance Brennan waiting for me at the entrance. She shakes my hand. "You must be Dr. Richie" she says happily. I try to hide my giddiness, "Yes ma'am. It's an honor to get to work here. "

"You know, for a while, you'll just be an assistant." she says. 

"Of course" I say. 

She takes me inside and leads me around to the lab. "I was quite impressed by your resume. An agent of five different agencies, and you speak seven languages. And the fact that you graduated three years early." she says. We enter a large room, with a raised platform in the middle. I see people clad in blue uniforms scurrying about. Dr. Brennan leads me around, and introduces me to a man, Jack Hodgins.  He is looking through a microscope at a few shards of metal. 

"Dr. Hodgins, this is my newest intern, Dr. Caroline Richie" she says. 

"Welcome to the Jeffersonian." he says, shaking my hand. He's about an inch taller than me, with brown, curly hair. I smile. "Thank you" I say stoutly. Dr. Brennan leads me on, as to not distract Dr. Hodgins. We run into the other intern, a Dr. Zack Addy. A brief introduction is passed before he has to go deliver something to Dr. Hodgins. The last person I'm introduced to is Angela Montenegro. She's probably the sweetest person I ever met. She explains how she does facial reconstructions to rebuild faces of the dead. I ask her to show me how sometime, and Dr. Brennan leads me to a box. She has me lay out the bones, and identify cause of death, which was easy.

"A single gunshot wound to the back of the neck. Execution style" I say proudly. She seems satisfied, and leaves me to wander around. I somehow end up at Dr. Hodgins's work space. He gestures for me to look through the microscope. 

"What do you see?" he asks expectantly. I see a greenish substance, and jump back when something moves. 

"It's alive" I say, probably sounding mortified. 

Dr. Hodgins laughs. "It's lake water. So, what are you going to do for the next 2 months around here?"

"What?"

"Dr. Brennan is going to Guatemala for 2 months. She leaves tomorrow." 

I sit back. "Gee. I don't know, I guess whatever people tell me to do around here. What do you usually do?"

"Whatever people tell me." he answers. We leave it at that. 

~

2 months later

I pull into the crime scene, where Dr. Brennan is waiting. I haven't seen her since my first day on the job, so I get a little nervous. Zack climbs out of the truck, and we run to the back to grab the equipment. 

He sees Dr. Brennan walking over with a guy in a tux. I smile when I realize who it is. 

"This eco warrior look works for you." Zack compliments Dr. Brennan. 

"Hey Seely" I say casually. Seely Booth and I were good friends back in high school. He helped me get into the FBI. 

He gives a small wave and we all keep walking to the lake. "Agent Booth, you remember my assistant, Zack Addy?" asks Dr. Brennan. "Oh yeah" replies Booth, sounding annoyed. 

'And you seem to already know my newest assistant, Dr. Caroline Richie." she adds. 

"Yes. I know Caroline" he says. 

"How was Guatemala? Did you dig up lot's of massacred victims? Learn a thing or two about machete strikes?" asks Zack. 

Dr. Brennan answers with "Zack, I need water samples, and Caroline I need temperature readings from the pond."