A Boy in a Tree

Okay, I own nothing from these previous chapters or any chapters to come, except for my character, Caroline Richie. Everything else goes to Hart Hanson.

"Who's that with Zack?" asks Angela.

I glance over to where Zack is talking with some girl. "That's Naomi from Paleontology."

"They slept together about a month ago." says Hodgins.

"Since then, she hasn't returned a single call." I finish.

Angela stares at us for a while. "You know all this how?"

"Zack told us." says Hodgins.

"Yeah, I'm sure Zack told you guys all about his failed sexual relationships." says Angela sarcastically.

"And I know his phone password." I say guiltily.

"Mm hmm" says Angela accusingly. "So what have you been up to?"

"Uh, well, bugs and slime." says Hodgins.

"Well, I saw this movie." I say uncomfortably. We all avoid looking in Zack's direction because he and Naomi are clearly arguing.

"Really? That's cool. Was it good?" asks Angela.

"Not really. You know what we need?" I ask.

"A murder investigation.' replies Angela. We're speaking quickly and keep glancing uncomfortably in Zack's direction. "Brennan and Booth are out front right now waiting for Zack."

"What, there's a case?" asks Hodgins excitedly.

"Why didn't you say so?" I ask. "Zack! We gotta go!" I yell at him. Naomi bolts away. I cringe.

"Oh, she really bolted. Doesn't look good for Zack." says Angela.

Zack looks around helplessly. I pick up one of his bags. "Better luck next time." I say.

"Are you kidding? There's no other pretty girls my age here" he says disappointedly.

I drop his bag. "Carry this yourself then." I say.

I jump in the back of Booth's car, and wait for Zack to put everything in the back.

"We got a body in a prep school out in the sticks." Booth informs me as Zack gets in the car.

"Good morning to you too." says Brennan tiredly.

"You're successful with women, right?" Zack asks Booth. "I mean, they like you."

"Look, it's a very prestigious prep school. There's a lot of rich kids." Booth ignores Zack.

"I thought it was good to start with 'Good morning'." says Brennan in confusion.

"If a woman said 'take a hint' what would it mean?" continues Zack.

I can feel Booth about ready to snap. "Can we just concentrate on the job?" he asks sharply.

Zack sits back and Dr. Brennan turns to look out the window.

"How's Parker?" I ask Booth.

"He's fine. I taught him how to pitch a baseball yesterday." he replies. "Now, I know the sherriff out there. She's mostly okay. But the school's got a lot of pull in the county and she's probably just trying to scrape the whole case off on us." he pauses. "Look, what I'm trying to say is it's not just a crime scene but it's a political situation. So when we get out there, you follow my lead and you pay attention."

Zack sits up. "You'd call after every sexual encounter, right? Because that's the good thing to do?"

"Oh my god Zack just shut up!" I yell.