Chapter Seven: Brother Knows Best

Whew, hello. Sorry this took so long to get up, you wouldn't believe how much I procrastinated writing this, I feel awful. Last weekend I said I would but then I was up to 4:30 am with my friend one night and that conked me out for the rest of the day. Then this whole week I just haven't felt like writing bc school and I messed up my back so my mom won't let me run (though I still did today bc rebellious lol) and our March for Life trip was canceled cuz of all that snow on the East coast (so jealous of you guys) so I've just been irritated. Anyway, hope you like it. This sets the scene for the major bad thing in the story, just to scare you lol. Let me know what ya think.

Pic of Jack (Rose Leslie) up there.

Gracias! <3 vb12331

Chapter Seven

Brother Knows Best

Two hours later, I found myself sitting next to a fuming Zach as Ramirez and Jer argued in front of us, their voices ricocheting around my aching head.

Déjà vu? You betcha.

Though I thought that things had gone reasonably well following Patrick and Jack's appearance in that dingy old alley behind the Carbonis' café, all things considering. I had expected either Patrick or Zach to freak out as they stood glaring at each other, but surprisingly their voices remained semi-calm.

"How'd you find us?"

Patrick shrugged, hooking one finger at Jack. "She said that you'd go –"

"Jack doesn't know this place." Zach's eyes narrowed. "Try again."

"He tracked you," said Jack, looking supremely bored as she curled her bright red hair around her finger, the other hand tucked into the pocket of her shorts. "And it was pathetically easy. You've been sloppy lately, Zach."

I thought Zach would explode, but he just gritted out, "You tracked me? How?"

"Yeah, like I'm going to tell you that." Patrick sent Jack an irritated look. "The whole purpose of it is that you don't know. Did you really think I was gonna leave you alone like that? I told you, I knew you'd disappear, and since you have a habit of taking Nat with you, we weren't taking any chances."

"We were just gonna come find you, anyway," I jumped in before Zach could start a full-blown fight. Also, I'd noticed that Angelo hadn't emerged from his hiding place behind the trashcan – obviously he didn't want anything to do with the CIA, so the quicker we got out of there, the better.

"Can we argue about this in the car, please?" Jack batted her eyelashes at Patrick. "I'm about to die in this heat, I need air conditioning."

As Patrick opened his mouth, however, the back door to the café swung open to reveal Sofia Carboni, gun at her side and displeasure in her eyes as she took in the scene.

"Are you who's been making all the racket out here?"

At his mother's voice, Angelo popped up from behind the trashcan and rushed over to her, whispering in her ear. Both Patrick and Jack jolted at his sudden appearance. I thought Patrick's jaw might hit the floor as he stared at the small Italian woman who held the gun like it was a purse, and even Jack frowned as she studied her. Zach, I noticed, looked a little smug.

"I'm sorry," said Patrick clumsily after a moment, "we don't mean to intrude. We're –"

"I know who you are." Sofia's voice sliced across his. "You reek of CIA."

Patrick blinked.

"We're fine," Zach told her, his eyes flicking toward Patrick. "Don't worry about us, we're leaving now."