Chapter Fifteen: That Long Wait in that White, White Room

Hellooo. This update was a little faster at least?? :D To be honest, I'm really struggling with this story, for reasons that I'll give in an author's note when I finish it. But for now, please enjoy this chapter and let me know what you think! I've been enjoying summer; I got a job at a local bakery and I love it. Hope you all are doing fabulous!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Fifteen

That Long Wait in that White, White Room

I don't know who screamed first, me or Jack, but neither of us got to Patrick's side quicker than Zach.

"One of the bullets must have hit him," he babbled as he crouched next to Patrick's slumped figure, his hands on his shoulders. "He wouldn't tell me – but I knew something was wrong with him – someone help me!"

Legs shaking, I stumbled out of Sofia's arms and down the porch with Jack behind me, and together we knelt down next to Zach and gently turned Patrick over. His eyelashes fluttered, a groan escaping his mouth, and as Jack seized his hand, she let out a cry and held it up to show us the blood slicked to her skin. I looked down at the red spreading from the bottom of his shirt outward, and panic clutched at my throat.

"He got sh-shot," I stammered, gripping Zach's arm like a vice. "Oh my gosh – he got shot – he's going to –"

Memories of last winter flooded my mind, Zach crumpled on the white snow with red blood spilling everywhere and that cold desperation. I couldn't go through that again – my whole body froze up, my hands still clutching Zach. My eyes blurring, I could hardly see as one of Ramirez's men hunkered down beside us and brushed us out of the way, applying pressure to Patrick's wound with professional efficiency.

As if he couldn't stand watching, Zach looked up at me, his eyes just as wide and scared as he shook my arm, saying, "Stop it, Nat, you're scaring me! He's going to be fine, you hear me?"

"A medical team is on their way." Ramirez appeared above us, her business suit as crisp as ever and her tone unmoved by the scene in front of her. Her dark eyes landed on Zach's face with an expression that made me regret that I had ever wanted her to come help. "Mr. Ryan will be brought immediately to the nearest hospital, which fortunately is within our affiliation. You three will come with us."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," said Zach heatedly. "I'll go to the hospital –"

A choking sound escaped my mouth, as close as I could come to agreement.

"Patrick –" Jack didn't even look at Ramirez but kept smoothing the hair out of Patrick's eyes, her voice trembling. "Patrick, can you hear me? You're going to be fine –"

He remained unresponsive the entire time until the medical team arrived and descended upon him, forcing us to scatter. Zach kept his arms around me as we stood helplessly and watched them load Patrick onto a stretcher, just like they'd done to Zach months ago. Jack stayed on her knees on the ground, white-faced in the pale glow of the headlights, and she only moved once they started wheeling him toward their vehicle. She launched herself after them.

"I'm coming with you!"

One of the men seized her arms and attempted to hold her in place as she fought him wildly, her red hair flying everywhere. Zach let go of me and rushed forward, trying to force the guy to release her, but then Ramirez said sharply, "She can go with you to the hospital – she doesn't concern us."

As soon as the guy let go of her, Jack gave him a shove that sent him sprawling and swearing, and then she rushed to the vehicle Patrick had been moved into. Zach made to follow her, but at a gesture from Ramirez, two men grabbed his arms and pinned him to the spot. As he thrashed and swore furiously at her, she simply crossed her arms and said, "You, Mr. Sullivan, are still a concern to us. You stay here."