Chapter Fourteen: In Boston Women Are More Dangerous Than Shotguns, Too

Hello! *hides* sorry that this literally took forever to upload. I wish I had a good excuse, but it's basically just that time has been flying and there's so much "last" stuff going on and it makes me so depressed and happy and idk it's weird. I graduate on Thursday which is MIND BOGGLING. Prom is over (it was super fun). My last track meet ever is Tuesday (already crying). I'm sorry that this book hasn't exactly been prominent on my horizon. I'll try and make the next upload be quicker.

Quick recap: Angelo is with Costa in some building a half mile down the coast from where Nat and the gang currently are. Jer and Zach's mom are MIA, and the gang is panicking. Then Nat has a bright idea. Now you get to find out what it is!

Hope you enjoy, and shoot me a comment! Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Fourteen

In Boston Women Are More Dangerous than Shotguns, Too

"Can't believe we're relying on that woman," grumbled Zach next to me as we maneuvered our way over the rocks littering the shore beneath the jutting cliff.

"It does seem counter-intuitive," I agreed in a low voice, glancing upwards nervously; with each step we drew nearer to Costa's building, a half mile down the coast from ours. "But we need to get Angelo out, and she is supposedly on our side, and she wants Costa as much as –"

"As she wants me." Zach's voice tightened. "Or my mom."

Patrick spoke quietly behind us. "Keep your voices down, sound travels easily."

Jack snorted. "Oh, now he realizes that."

Zach slipped a little on a rock, and I grabbed his arm to steady him. His face looked pale in the dim moonlight, his eyes dull and tired, obviously more hurt from his time with Costa's men than he'd let on. I'd tried to convince him to stay back and rest at the house, but I should've known better; it was a miracle that I could even get him to eat a granola bar so at least he wouldn't pass out from exhaustion.

"All right," said Patrick in an undertone as we finally stopped by a stack of rocky sand just below Costa's building. "Ramirez said she'd bring a team up here to help us out, but that they probably couldn't make it for at least a half-hour."

Yup, that's right. Ramirez. She was the key to our big plan. Well, my big plan.

When I'd first suggested that we call up Ramirez for some East coast backup, you would've thought I was suggesting that we call up Satan himself. It took me five whole minutes to convince Patrick that she actually was our best option, since she was supposed to be part of his agency and therefore should want to help him. He'd called her with reluctance, explained the situation, and reported back in surprise that she'd been strangely helpful.

"Probably convinced that the Midwest is useless," he said gloomily. "But you're right, Nat, it's the only choice we have."

Jack and Zach, on the other hand, were lost causes; I knew I'd never convince them.

"I'm not about to let her use me like that," Zach had said angrily when he heard Ramirez's plan. It involved him trekking over to Costa's building and staking out close to it so that she could pinpoint its location by his tracker. "That's crap, and you know it – she can find the place fine without me! Why does she want me there?"

"Stupid government always has to interfere," said Jack scornfully.

"Well, I think it's a good idea," I'd said, glaring at them. "And since my brother happens to be MIA" – my voice shook a little and they had the decency to look guilty – "I think it's our best bet."