Typhoon

I originally had this as a separate book, titled Soul Song: Typhoon, but I decided that I'm going to use SHORT STORIES as a place where I have ideas for books, upload a snippet/teaser, and I'll judge whether or not from the reaction it gets to upload it separately and continue it's storyline.

If you've already read this, my apologies, but let me know whether you would read this as a separate storyline.

Thanks!

Libby xx

~

With the jumping beat of the song in her ears, Lily Morgan was almost enjoying her walk home from school. Despite the fact that it was raining...and humid...and her Aunt Ollie had an emergency shift to tend to so she couldn't pick her up. The music was the only good thing about her walk home.

If her music stopped, so would Lily.

She would stop and cry out of frustration.

Lily was heavily reliant on music, especially to get her through the several kilometre walk she still had ahead of her. The pavement was wonky with tree roots from the trees nearby. As Lily's beat-up trainers thudded in puddles on the path, she almost smiled as the beat dropped in her ears.

Popping her lips in time with the tunes, Lily looked around and felt a sense of wariness as she locked eyes with the dark forest and its shadows.

Her class today had been on the dangers of the woods and the dark. Most teachers warn their students of the possible bandits, drug dealers, and rapists that patrolled the woods for victims. Most schools pressured the use of the buddy system: to always travel with a male friend and/or another person.

Her school wasn't most schools. Her teachers weren't most teachers.

Lily's teachers taught her and her classmates how to unleash their claws and use their inner supernatural abilities to defend themselves.

Nova High School was created by the Supernova, which taught all the students, no matter what their race, about the rules of their beings and how to control their powers.

There was shifting classes for the werewolves to gain control of their beastly side, as well as blood control classes and night hours for the vampires ease. The zen gardens were for the witches, so they could be at one with nature and control their earthly abilities. The nurses office consisted of fairies, helping them come to terms with their powers of healing.

With compulsory classes for every supernatural creature to go over the rules and history of all the species known, Lily had a breeze of a timetable. That compulsory class, once a day, was her only class. She had free time the rest of the days.

Unlike everyone in the school, she didn't know what type of supernatural she was. Wolf? Vampire? Fairy? Witch? Lily had no idea.

Although those four were the most common types of supernatural, there were others species too. They're just so rare that everyone's forgotten what they were. No one was really sure what type of creature the Supernova was - and they were the most powerful of them all, giving them the right to dictate what every other creature did.

The only reason that Lily knew she was supernatural was because her family was... But she never found out what exactly before they family died.

Thinking of her family made her heart ache, and Lily turned her music down with a sigh. Feeling her thin auburn hair stick to her face from the heavy downpour, the orphan looked towards the forest, once again, out of the corner of her eye. Something pulled in her gut. Lily hesitated.