prologue

"i have something to tell you quinn." chris said, looking at me.

it was the day i left for los angeles, california. we were sitting in chris' car that sat in the quiet parking lot at wisconsin dane county airport. the time was 12 am and chris was looking nervous as hell.

"go for it chris," i grinned. "better be quick though, i'll be late for my flight." i chuckled.

"i-it'll be quick, if i quiet from getting so nervous from this." he said, rubbing his sweaty palms against his jeans. i looked at him and put my hand to his shoulder.

"chris you're shaking. what's going o-"

"quinn i like you, like a lot. like i have this enormous crush on you. quinn ever since i meet you in seventh grade i knew that i'd wanted you to be mine, but like whatever right? i was just this stupid twelve year old who didn't know what love was. but then over time i liked you more and more and i couldn't stop myself and i feel like i'm going to explode!" chris burst out. i looked at him, astonished.

chris? liking me? we were only friends and this was overwhelming. i had a small crush on him, yeah but the way he said that he did, he had kept this in for a long time. i looked at the dashboard, chris looking at me in the corner of my eye.

"why didn't you tell me sooner?" i asked, looking at him.

"i never had the guts to quinn." he responded. his voice sounded like he was on the verge of crying or sobbing.

"chris, i don't know what to say." i blinked a few times before looking away. what was i going to say? i thought my last day here in wisconsin would just consist of last hugs and ' remember to call me when you get there' things.

whatever what was going to go on here, wouldn't matter once i touched ground in california.

" chris, i'm sorry i don't like you back." i said and looked at him. chris' eyes were now visible with tears. his eyes were glossy and a tear ran down his cheek.

i felt like crying too, but why? my best friend was shedding tears in front of me and for once i didn't feel like hugging him.

a sob left his mouth and he covered his face. he started to shake and i exited the car. i went to the trunk and opened it, getting my luggage and backpack. my body was forcing me to leave this place. i felt i had no control over my actions. what were the emotions i felt? was i angry or mad? why did i feel like this?

i slammed the trunk shut and started to jog towards the building. i felt myself begin to run. the wheels running over lose rocks.

the airport was quiet as i approached the desk. the lady tapped away on her computer.

"quin c-carter." i felt myself loose breath as i shuffled through my bag to find my state id and papers.

"are you okay ma'am?"

"yeah... yeah of course."