Prologue [Teaser]

-This book is dedicated to my late mom, but also to anyone else who has been affected by cancer -____________________________________________________________________________________

  "Come on you slow poke or I'm going to beat you to the docks!" Lucy shrieked, sprinting past me effortlessly as I dragged behind panting and sweating from the sweltering heat and my intense hatred of running. 

  She ran past me bare foot, her feet barely skimming the bright emerald green grass as she ran. Her long waist length natural ombre hair was flying after her like a superheroes cape, unable to keep up with the speed she was going. Each of the individual curls on her hair spinning more fanatically then the next as if each had a mind of their own. 

  The lake house had always been our favourite place in the world, from the first moment we had laid eyes on it through the windows of her parents SUV. There was just something about the seclusion of being on the lake, something about the sight of the beautiful forest that stretched for miles in every direction... it was completely and utterly peaceful, and it was our sanctuary in so many ways. 

  The lake house had always been our safe place, our home free. 

  By the time I caught up to her, Lucy was already standing on the very edge of the dock. Her toes were curling over the rim, anticipating the eager first jump of the season. She had even managed to strip down into her bathing suit in a record time. 

  Upon hearing me finally catching up she turned around to face me, a wickedly wonderful grin spreading ear to ear across her face. 

  "You ready?" 

  I nodded back excitedly, tearing off my shorts and shirt so I was standing in my maroon bikini. Lucy reached over to grab my hand, beginning the ever so familiar countdown that we did every year. The anticipation abundant and growing in her tone. 

  "Five, four, three, two, one!" 

  And then we let out a scream. An ear-splitting, earth-shattering, shriek that rumbled the water around us in a sonic boom and let out an echo that carried all around the bay in rings. Then we jumped, plunging our way into the first dive of the season. Completely and utterly happy. 

                                                                                        〜 

  I should have made the guess sooner that something was wrong. I should have recognized my intuition better because looking back on it now, older and wiser I always remembered having that feeling, deep into the pit of my stomach that something was just... off. 

  At first I never really understood what it was. But now, three years later looking back on the memory I began to decode the feeling. It wasn't just a stomach ache - it was a warning. 

  That was the summer of 2011, our last normal summer at the lake house. Because just two weeks after that first plunge of the season, Lucy began to experience intensive headaches, nausea, blurred vision.. and after we took her to the hospital following a frightful fall off the dock - did we learn that a tumour had been beginning to grow in Lucy. 

She was diagnosed with brain cancer a week later. 

  I always felt like from the moment Lucy heard the news, she knew she was going to die. She began acting differently - not in a bad way necessarily, she just seemed... observant. Like she was taking in the world in a new light because she knew that even though we all denied it, that her time here was limited. 

  The funeral was hard. I was her best friend, so naturally I was chosen to make a speech and me - being an idiot - agreed to it. You think it's an easy job, you think all you have to do is stand up there and talk. But the minute you actually have to stand up there, staring at a sea of black clothes and a room of people grieving and talking about your dead best friend - the circumstances change. You freeze right then and there because in that moment it really hits you that they're gone. 

  Shortly before she died we were in her hospital room and I was telling her about the horror stories I was having about being a freshmen at Westville Day. Lucy was listening attentively, laughing along at my jokes as usual when suddenly she stopped and a darkened look crossed over her face. 

  "Regan," She said quietly, her lightened tone suddenly turning grey. "You're my best friend." 

  "Well yeah," I laughed, "You're mine too Captain Obvious." 

  I expected Lucy to laugh, because that's what she always did - even if my joke was horrible. Except this time it was different, she didn't laugh and instead her tone simply darkened from grey to black as she continued to talk. 

  "Reg, I'm going to die." She whispered softly. "I know I am and I uh... I feel death just dancing around my room waiting for me as we speak. It sounds ridiculous I know but I - I really need you to know that you're my best friend. And as your best friend I'm supposed to be there for you through everything. Your first kiss, first love, first heartbreak... I'm supposed to be with you dressed in the same cap and gown as we collect our diplomas for our high school graduation, we're meant to be obsessing over prom and our senior year together when it comes time. I'm supposed to be with you through every single milestone, whether it's to have someone to shriek with in excitement or to have a shoulder to cry on. I'm supposed to be the one to pick up the pieces when your heart breaks. But I'm not going to be there." She paused as a few stray tears found their way down her cheeks and right when I blinked, I realized that she wasn't the only one crying. "Anyway I thought of an idea. I uh - I want you to write me letters. Every week, month, year - however many you want. I want you to write to me about every little thing you accomplish, every single milestone you surpass. Because I want you to feel like I'm there. I'll - I'll always be there okay?" 

  I sniffled before throwing my arms around my best friend pulling her fragile body tightly towards me. "I'm going to miss you so much." I blubbered.  "Please - please don't go Lu. I-I'm not ready, please don't leave me." 

  "I'm not ready either." She sniffled into my ear, never loosening her hold on me. "But I don't have a choice and - and it hurts Reg. It hurts so bad and I'm just so tired. I'm tired of fighting a battle I know I can't win. But please write, promise me you will. I want to be there for you even when I'm not okay?" 

  I squeezed harder into the hug until I could hardly breathe as I choked out a loud sob, bobbing my head in the process. "Okay I-I promise." 

  And just like that, she was gone. 

A/N

Guess who's back?

Ah you guys I'm so excited for this! It's been a few months in the making since I've kinda sorta came back from my long extended, much needed break from Wattpad and I just want to say right now how thankful I am for all of you and just to thank you for all the kind and thoughtful PM's you've been sending me.

I'm still not one hundred percent yet but I definitely feel like I'm on the road of being okay again. This last year has been hell but I didn't want to prolong my return any more longer because although stuff in my personal life is still a little (understatement of the century) messed up right now I still have all of you and I'm forever thankful! 

So as it says in the title this prologue is just a teaser and updates for this story will officially begin April 27th 2016 which is what two weeks from now? Anyway I chose these two dates April 10th and April 27th because they have to do with my mom's birthday and her anniversary respectfully. As it says at the top I dedicated this book to her and anyone else who has been affected my cancer. 

Also for those of you who follow me you guys already know about my author spotlights I will be doing for this book. It allows you the chance to publically advertise your story at the end of each chapter. I already have a few in line but theres obviously room for more so just PM me your story title and description and we'll talk!

Any whoo my lovelies the question of this little chapter is; how are you??? I know real original :P but seriously let me know I love you all.

xoxo

Ari

PS hats off to you if you read that entire A/N