Chapter One

Silverpaw stumbled into the vacant twoleg den, followed by Dawnpaw. I hope this is safe, she thought. The only things she could scent was a stale scent of twolegs who had left many moons ago.

"I guess this is our home," Silverpaw murmured.

"It's not very warrior-like," Dawnpaw sniffed. Her tail lashed angrily, brushing away a layer of dust on the ground. Although the wound on her paw had stopped bleeding, it was still tender to the touch.

"It's not going to be exactly like camp," Silverpaw replied, "but with a few nests and a den, it'll be good enough to be our home."

Dawnpaw glanced back at Silverpaw. "Dens?" She fully turned around. "That's like saying we'll be here for the rest of our lives!"

"But we're not!" Silverpaw retorted. "I meant that we are going to need a place to stay. You know, before we can go back." If we ever do, Silverpaw thought. She didn't tell her sister about her doubts. She might not take it well, she thought.

Dawnpaw limped forwards. "Fine. But I'm not happy about this." Like I am, Silverpaw thought. I didn't want to run from RiverClan. I didn't ask for StarClan to choose us. Silverpaw shook her head, clearing her thoughts. A layer of dust coated everything, indicating that this den had indeed been abandoned a long time ago. Silverpaw swiped her paw across the unusually smooth surface. Is this supposed to be shiny? She wondered. This is so weird. But then again, all twolegs were weird. After all, who besides them would willingly climb into the belly of a monster?

"Come on, Silverpaw!" Dawnpaw yelled, jumping onto the glossy wood floor. "Let's find somewhere to make our nests!" Silverpaw looked around, still bewildered. So this is what twolegs live in, she mused. She pawed at the hard ground. How can you live like this? Who would want to live like this? She snorted. Obviously, the twolegs would.

Silverpaw was jolted out of her thoughts by Dawnpaw cuffing her ears. "Stop day dreaming, Silverpaw! We've got a battle to fight!" Dawnpaw flicked her tail towards a dark den nearby. "That should be our den. That way, we can leave quickly if we need to."

"Okay," Silverpaw agreed. "So now we've got that den sort of thing chosen. So what do we do now? I think we should go and tell the other clans about ShadowClan taking over RiverClan. We need all the help we can get."

Dawnpaw whipped her head around. "Are you trying to get us killed?! Tonight's the gathering, and I think we both know that Ivy is going to ask the other clans to find us. If we go to ThunderClan and WindClan right now, they're going to report us to Ivy." Silverpaw sat down and Dawnpaw continued her tirade. "And don't you remember? They refused to help us last time, so why would they help us now?"

"Okay, okay," Silverpaw said. She was relieved to see the light of battle drain out of Dawnpaw's eyes. "Why don't we go set up the nests?" Silverpaw got up and met Dawnpaw's eyes. " and then we'll go to the gathering." Dawnpaw nodded hesitantly, and together, they walked out of the twoleg's den before parting ways.

Silverpaw trotted back to her den and dropped the clump of moss onto her small nest. Done, she thought, satisfied. Might as well sneak in a nap before the gathering, she thought. Who knows? Maybe StarClan would tell her something in her sleep. They had told her about the need for knowing herbs, maybe something more useful would come this time.