Chapter Ten

"I'm back!" Silverpaw called, her voice muffled from the large, dripping wet fish in-between her jaw. She clambered over to the temporary fresh-kill pile and dropped the fish. Behind her, two cats stepped into the twoleg den. Troutsplash and Bramblefang padded towards her and sat down. Dawnpaw and Iceleap stumbled out the den as they conversed quietly.

Their heads bent as they kept talking, nodding to Silverpaw as they passed by her. Silverpaw carried a small, flickering, silver, minnow over to the two other she-cats as Troutsplash and Bramblefang bickered over who would get which fish from the fish.

"Hey, Silverpaw," Iceleap greeted as she set down her minnow. There was silence for a while, as all three of them sat tensely.

Dawnpaw finally broke the silence. "We were just talking about—" she stopped, and her eyes widened, focusing on something behind Silverpaw. Alarmed by Dawnpaw's bugging eyes and frightened expression, Silverpaw whipped her head around and stared at the panting figure before her.

Tanglebrook drew his head back, not giving himself enough time to take deep breaths and opened his mouth. "ShadowClan cats are coming!" He yowled. He looked around urgently. "You have to believe me. We need to go! We don't have much time before they come and find you!" And if on cue, the faint sound of yowling cats came from behind him.

Gasping with fear, Silverpaw didn't question the older cat in front of her. She stood up onto her paws and motioned to the others with her tail. "Come on," she urged. "We don't have much time!"

Troutsplash looked like he was about to protest, but before he could, Iceleap and Bramblefang dragged him to the entrance of the den. Silverpaw didn't wait for his next attempt at protesting against Tanglebrook. She bolted out the den, but to her dismay, ShadowClan cats were in the clearing. They were waiting for us! She wailed internally. All of this security, all of our planning— for nothing!

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw that Dawnpaw had taken of sprinting towards the lake. Silverpaw followed her, not looking back to see if Troutsplash had finally made up his mind about where his loyalties lay.

The ShadowClan cats seemed to multiply. While in the beginning there were four cats, there were now six. Silverpaw just ran in the direction in which there were no hostile cats.

"Where are we even going?" Dawnpaw hissed in pain.

Tanglebrook was the one to answer her question. "We're heading for RiverClan territory right now," he said. He started to slow down, getting tired. Silverpaw watched in horror as a small gray tom nearly landed on his tail. A sudden burst of pain on her hindquarters let her know that she had been injured. She focused back on what lay before her as adrenaline pumped through her veins. Iceleap's white fur was marred by dirt, and Bramblefang was panting.

Even Troutsplash, who she was secretly glad had finally decided to join them, though she'd never admit it, had a few scratches along his pelt. Dawnpaw looked terrible. She was trailing blood as she ran, getting slower by the second.

"I need to rest..." Dawnpaw gasped, and stopped running. The other rogues circled her, watching as ShadowClan cats began stalking the RiverClan outlaws. Silverpaw unsheathed her claws and wound her tail with Dawnpaw's.

A brown cat hissed, showing bloodstained teeth. She looked at Dawnpaw, who had just gotten her breath back, and purred sweetly.

"We would've caught you fat RiverClan cats eventually," she purred," but you, Dawnpaw, made it so much easier. In fact," she stepped closer to the apprentices. "We may kill you quickly, if you beg." Ivy looked at Tanglebrook and the others with disgust. "I assure you, Dawnpaw, that it would be a much better fate than what I— we— have planned for your precious Clanmates."

"Ivy..."Tanglebrook growled. "You will not hurt my apprentice." He looked around him. "Nor any other of my Clan."

Ivy chuckled. "Why, hello, Tanglebrook!" Her eyes flashed. "I'm delighted in your offer of dying first!" She slowly licked one paw and drew it over her ragged ears. "I was already planning to, of course, but now I don't have to make a decision." Ivy pounced, pinning Tanglebrook to the ground.

The other ShadowClan cats moved forward with her, like a wave following it's leader.

It was as if time froze. Silverpaw couldn't move, paralyzed in fear and shock. She had been in so many battles, so many skirmishes before, but this one was so different. Never had things looked so impossible, so hopeless. All Silverpaw could see was red. The redness of blood. Claws came flying at her, but she still couldn't move. Silverpaw watched as an unknown ShadowClan cat leapt towards her, claws glinting in the sunlight and face drawn back in a vicious snarl.

A heavy lump of orange and white fur barreled into her side, knocking the wind out of her, out of the way of those flashing, bloody claws.

Thank StarClan for sisters.