TWELVE | 7/23/15

TWELVE | 7/23/15

MY NIGHT STARTS off with Harrison Gage slipping through my open window and into my bedroom. There's a playful smirk on his face, suggesting that he's about to do something crazy, and he wants me to be a part of it. Looking at Harrison's expression, I realize that he's fully intent on bringing me with him, but it's not that simple because my dad is actually home.

"Harrison," I warn, crossing my arms, "I can't."

He knowingly smirks, reminding me of his constant mischievous side, "And why is that?"

I look at my bedroom door helplessly, thinking about how easily I could get caught, "My dad's home, Harrison. I don't know what you expect me to do, but it's not going to necessarily happen."

"You're coming with me, Arden," he demands before looking to the ground and losing his tough exterior, "I really need moral support on this one."

I look at him, feeling how his words spike at my interest. It's just that there's a lot of things that I don't know about Harrison Gage. He's such a complex person at times, and I genuinely feel like it would take eternities to explore every piece of him. By revealing less, the more I wonder.

"Okay," I finally say, swinging my legs off of the bed, forgetting that I'm just wearing cotton shorts and a tank top.

Harrison slowly sweeps his gaze over me before locking his blue eyes with my brown ones. The act alone is so intimate and almost sexual, but it doesn't make me feel disgusted with him at all. He blinks and clears his throat before saying, "Uh, you should change."

I shift back and forth on my feet, finally managing to choke out, "Can you, uh, not look? I don't really know where to send you."

"Yeah, yeah," Harrison turns around and covers his eyes for good measure. I hurriedly pull on a pair of light-washed jeans and throw a shirt on. Trying to put on my pair of Converses, I end up stumbling a little bit, causing Harrison to ask whether I'm okay or not.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I reassure, "You can turn around."

"I better not find you naked," he jokes, ultimately killing all the awkwardness in the room or making it worse.

I pluck a pillow off my bed and throw it at him, "As if that's ever going to happen."

He tilts his head innocently to the side, "And why is that?"

Harrison waits for my answer with a growing smirk, excepting me to stutter my way through. Instead, I move closer and place my hand on his chest, whispering, "You gotta ask me the right way."

He gulps, and I'm the one smirking now. I walk towards my window, casually throwing over my shoulder, "You coming or what?"

•••

"WHO ARE THEY?"

Harrison grips the steering wheel and avoids my question, "Promise me you'll stay in the car."

"Harrison, oh my god," I nervously say, "Are you in a gang? Are you dealing drugs? Why am I even here?"

"Arden, calm down," he says, glancing at me, "I just have to make amends with my past, especially with Mo."