The war

MissPen123 asked: Do you regret getting your hand shot in the Great War?

Thomas: *sighs* Well let me just say this. I might not be the most moral person you know--I hope I'm not because if I am, then that's just sad. But I know that getting purposely shot in battle to get sent home was really cowardly to begin with. And that I do regret.

But I don't think you understand how bad that war was. Picture the most scared you have ever been in your life. Comment what that was? It was worse than that. Because you always felt that scared. And everyone else was that scared around you, so the fear was always there and no matter what you did, you knew you would never leave. You knew that it was only a matter of time before you died. So yeah, I regret being a coward. But I don't beat myself up too much about it because I know what it was like.

Author: Everyone should go out and read "All Quiet on the Western Front" if you haven't already. It's about a German soldier (the "enemy" as us Allies, or at least me as an American, were taught to think) during World War One. I won't spoil it for you of course, because it is such an amazing and powerful book, but it takes you and places you actually in the war with the main character and his comrades. It makes it so disturbingly real, as it should be.