New Assignment

888

"You've got to be joking."

"No sir."

"Please, why can't anybody else-."

"I don't give the orders, Poe. I just deliver them. If you have a problem, take it up with General Organa."

Poe sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Fine." He said

He snatched the piece of paper out of the soldier's hand and strode down the hallway.

"Fine. I'll go talk to her. I'll go and get my head bit off, that's what would happen-OUCH! Watch where you're going! Oh, sorry Chewie-."

Poe had been so distracted but his recent bad luck that he had walked straight into the giant Wookie.

"Rawwrrr." He mumbled sadly

Poe looked up at him sympathy, "I know, Chewie. I know. But Han is going to be okay, once the surgeons finish with him. In a few weeks you'll have your best friend back, I promise."

"Rawwerrr rrrrr grrrrr?"

"What am I mad about? I'm not mad-."

"Grrraaaa" and he pointed to the letter in Poe's hand.

"Oh....this. I'm going to talk to General Organa about it right now, actually."

"Grrrrrrr?"

"Og it's just....just ridiculous. You know how our last ship did a sweep of the planet before it was destroyed? Well, they found...they found Kylo Ren. He's been badly injured, but alive and they want someone—scratch that—they want ME to look after him until we transport him to the prison unit. ME a goddamn babysitter for the worst man in the entire galaxy. I just cant believe it, I-."

"Grawwww graw graw. Grawwww?"

"Well, I don't care if Leia told you that we were friends growing up. HE'S NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE. He tried to kill me, he tried to kill Han, his own father. I'm sorry Chewie, but I just can't do it. Not this one. " Poe told the wookie angrily, half crumbling the letter in his hand.

Chewie crumbled his face and shook his head.

"Don't give me that look. I know I'm right. I'll see you later bud, I have to talk to the General."

And without another word, Poe turned from his friend and walked briskly down the hallway.

Leia Organa was sitting at her desk, looking at a digital map and taking notes on her tablet when Poe walked inside her office.

"You are here about your latest assignment, are you not?" she asked without looking up from the map.

"Yes ma'm. I don't-."

"What you do or don't think doesn't matter. I am General and I make the rules." Leia said, standing up from her chair and looking at Poe.

She glanced up at him, and Poe saw how tired her face was and how sad she seemed.

"But I also think you should do it" she said softly, turning away from him and looking out her small desk window.

"You are one of the few people who knew him as Ben. If anyone where to get through to him, it would be you." She continued

Poe stared at her, "We were friends when we were eight years old. I can barely remember, it was so long ago. How do you think I'd be able-."

"He's mute, Poe." Leia said, and Poe felt himself take an involuntary sharp breath.

"What?"

"He was injured, during the rescue. The doctors told me they had to operate to remove some of the metal that had gotten into his throat when the planet was exploding. There was too much damage and now....now he'll never speak again." She said sadly, and Poe saw the eyes of a mother mourning for her child.

"Oh..."

"I cant just let some stranger watch him. Not after something like that. Yes, he's head of the First Order and he's killed thousands of people, but he's also my son and know we can get him back if we just try. Please, please Poe?" She said, looking up at him.

Poe sighed. He had known Kylo—Ben when they were growing up. He had a dim memory of them being lectured by a very distraught Leia because they had thought it would be a good idea to pogo stick down the hallway and through the glass window. He still had the scar on his chin from that incident, if one looked close enough they could see it. Ben had given him his teddy bear that night because he felt so bad about his friend getting injured. Ben had been a good soul, and hopefully he would still be in there under the mask of Kylo Ren. It felt wrong not to at least try to get him back.

Poe nodded, "I understand, Leia. And I'll try my best."

Leia nodded and gave him a weak smile, "Thank you, Poe."

888