Unhinged

888

As the day continued, Poe began to see more and more of his old friend Ben in Kylo Ren, and Poe was pretty sure Kylo was starting to see it too. The face under the mask of Kylo Ren was still vulnerable, but also strong and determined. Little by little Poe was able to see the man underneath it emerging and it brought him hope that Ben could be returned.

After an hour of the comic book, Kylo was showing signs of boredom so Poe pulled out another item in his bag that he had memoires of doing when they were little; a puzzle, 150 pieces of a meadow with horses.

"Do you remember when we tried to do that 1000 piece puzzle?" Poe asked

Kylo shrugged

"Eventually we got bored of it so we decided to see what would happen if we dropped the pieces down the heating vent." Poe continued with a smile. Poe remembered that night Han had to crawl through the vents and gather the pieces before the burst into flame. Poe had thought it was hilarious, Leia not so much.

Kylo shrugged, then opened his mouth. His lips formed the words noiselessly as he tried to speak. His eyes widened in surprise and then he shook his head. Poe quietly tapped the notebook he had brought, but Kylo ignored it.

"You alright? I know it's an adjustment" Poe asked

Kylo just shrugged again.

"Back when I was based on the Corellia, I had a roommate who was born deaf. He communicated with signs he formed with his hands." Poe said, and he say Kylo's eyes light up for the first time since he had been taken by the rebels.

"You'd like to learn?" he asked

Kylo nodded again.

"That's great. We can learn together. Leia and Han too." Poe said. Kylo shrugged, but Poe could see something in him, something was defrosting—then Poe's watch alarm went off causing Kylo to jump and breaking the moment.

"It's quarter to three, Leia scheduled a couple of scans for you. Don't worry, you'll be fine—but we should get going." Poe said, motioning towards the wheelchair. Kylo froze, eyes looking at it.

"I know you don't like it, but it's protocol." Poe explained, standing up. He waited patiently for Kylo to scoot out from under the bed and stand up, pulling his grey sleeves over his hands and crossing his arms over his chest. He flinched slightly away from Poe, and then walked over and sat in the chair.

Poe opened the door and began pushing down the hallway towards the scan room.

Right before they entered the scan room, Kylo slammed his hands down on the wheels of the chair, preventing them from going inside.

"Ben?" Poe asked, he walked around to the front of the chair.

"What's wrong?" he asked

Kylo shook his head, not looking him in the eye.

Poe looked from Kylo, to the scanning room and back again.

"It's going to be okay. Painless, I promise." He said, and then he felt a mild static in the air. It was happening again, Kylo was letting the fear over take him.

"Oh ummmm, I betcha wont guess this one; a box without hinges key or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid. What is it?" Poe asked, remembering another riddle from their youth.

The static stopped growing, it seemed to be levitating in one place and Poe held his breath.

"Just think about that, not the scanner room. It will be okay." Poe said and after a few more moments of stillness and static, Kylo released his grip on the wheels and Poe walked the wheelchair inside.