Tales from the First Order

The next morning Poe met with Leia before he went to Kylo's room. He had slept fitfully, his dreams burdened with a grinning child who had dark brown eyes and jet black hair. Leia was sitting in her office, drinking coffee and staring at a report on her desk.

"The surgeons made no report of the scars." She said "No report at all. Nothing. Not a god damn thing." She mumbled and then shook her head.

"I'm sorry, Leia. If I had known---." Poe started

"It's not your fault. None of it was your fault." She said

Poe just nodded.

"If it's okay with you, I'd like you to sit with him again today." She said

Poe nodded again.

"Chewie said that the guard provoked Ben yesterday, while he was sitting in the chair. He had tried to stop them, but they wouldn't listen. That's what set him off." Leia said, looking up at Poe.

Poe just nodded.

"I'm going to have them put camera droids, in the room and in the hallway. If someone is harassing Ben after hours I want to know about it." She said.

Poe nodded again, "Do you really think someone is hurting him here on the ship?" he asked

Leia shrugged, "How else would have those cuts gotten there?"

"You're right." Poe answered

"I made an appointment at the lab for a CET and full body scan today at 2:30. I want to see if there are any other hidden injuries, since the surgeons failed to report on the scars, who knows what else they missed." Leia told him, and Poe could detect a tone of bitterness in her voice.

"I'll make sure he gets there." he replied

Leia smiled, "Thank you, Poe. I know this must be hard on you, but the quicker he heals the sooner we will have our Ben back."

Poe nodded, but then paused. "He will come back, right?" he asked in a quiet voice.

Leia looked up at him, her eyes shiny. "He has to."

888

Poe meandered slowly down the hall towards the medical bay. After yesterday's events, he was not looking forward to spending another day with Kylo. Yes, he wanted him to get better, but he also had not forgotten that a few weeks ago the same man he was now trying to save had tortured him. It was a complicated feeling; he missed Ben and wanted his childhood friend back, but at the same time Kylo Ren had taken over so much that he wasn't sure if Ben was still under all the layers of darkness and fear. He hated this feeling, of being helpless. He honestly had no idea what to do to help Kylo---Ben---. What could he do? He was just a man.

He walked down another hallway, the ship was eerily empty. He continued to walk, images of his childhood flashing through his head until----

"Ouch! Hey! You okay?" A voice brought him back. Poe looked up and realized he had hurtled full force into Finn.

Poe tried to smile, "Hey Finn."

"Hey yourself. How ya doing? Feeling better?" Finn asked

"I could ask the same for you." Poe replied

Finn shrugged, "I'm a fast healer. I'm going down to the café for a cup of coffee. Join me?" he asked

Poe shrugged his shoulder, wishing he could go sit with his friend, instead of watching Kylo Ren.

He shook his head, "Leia asked me to check in on Kylo Ren—he's here, you know."

Finn nodded, his face darkening at the name, "Yeah. I heard. Are you going to the medical bay? I'll walk partway with you."