Chapter 7

"Hunter!" I yelled after him, hoping that I could manage to make him stay.

"Just forget it Olivia!"

I didn't bother to hold in my tears this time. They were already sitting on the brim of my eyelids, and one blink was all it took for them to spill out.

I stood in silence as I watched Hunter's silhouette disappear into the darkness. Running after him was useless. He was long gone. And so was I.

Hunter's POV

"Hey, you're back," Zac said as I entered the house.

"Yeah I am."

"How did your chat with Olivia go?"

"What's it to you?"

"I just want to look out for you!"

"Well we broke up. Happy?"

"You mean you were a coward so you ran away."

"We got into a fight over her sister-"

"And you didn't let her explain. You thought she was some physco serial killer without knowing the full story," he cut me off.

"Mum killed two people. Who's to say Olivia's not the same!"

"Are you really comparing Olivia to your mum? Really Hunter?"

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"What happened to you?" Zac questioned me as a look of disgust spread over his face, before leaving the room.

I don't know what happened to me. With Zac or Olivia.

I never really got to terms with my mum dying, and because of her history, hearing that Olivia killed someone made me instantly link her to my mum. My mum was a terrible person, and I didn't want Olivia to be just like her too.

I figured that it'd be better to cut ties with Olivia, to quit while we were ahead. I thought that it'd be better to extinguish the flame between us before some hurricane blew it out.

Olivia's POV

After Hunter left, I didn't hesitate to make my way to the bathroom. The cold white tiles and the faded blue walls formed a room that had become a place of comfort for me since I had arrived in the Bay a few weeks ago.

I was used to the motions of the knife against my skin. I felt at ease, like all the pain was now able to escape.

It was a habit, a daily ritual. It was something I had been doing since I was 15 years old. All because of me. And all because of Jack.

Jack was the guy you always heard about in children's books. The 'Prince Charming' that the princess always fell for. Except in my case, Jack was a prince. And I was no princess.

Back in the UK, Jack was cocky and obnoxious. He always managed to find a way to stir up trouble, or land himself in detention. I always made sure to stay well away from him, until the day that our paths collided.

I paused for a moment, recollecting my thoughts, as I reminisced my first proper encounter with Jack.

He was in my Science class, which I found surprising since I was reasonably alright in that area, and Jack was rubbish. We were assigned as lab partners for a project concerning biology. I was horrified, but I knew I had to slap a smile on my face in order to keep my grades up.

I contemplated doing all the work myself, even though it would've been a struggle. Eventually I caved and Jack came to my house the one day to help me complete the assignment.

*
Flashback:

"Hey there Olivia," Jack smirked as he walked confidently into the house I shared with my uncle James.

"Can we please not make this any longer than we have to?" I rolled my eyes at him, failing to hide my annoyance.

"Aw come on princess. You know you want me," he winked.

"Please," I scoffed, loud enough for him to hear. "You and your big ego? No thanks, I think I'll pass."

"You think you're so funny don't you?"

"Oh, I know I am," I smiled before making my way towards the living room.

The room was filled with back and forth banter between Jack and I, my eyes glancing towards the clock every five seconds.

"Oh, look like our time's up," I said to him, trying to sound upset.

"But we haven't even finished the project!"

"What's it to you? You don't care about your grades anyway."

"True, but I still wanted time to do this..."

*
I shuddered at the thought of my first kiss with Jack and brought myself back to the reality of the bathroom that I was standing in.

Luckily no one had interrupted me today. At least, not yet.

I caught sight of my reflection, my blood stained wrists paired with a knife, my eyes filled with tears staring back at me.

I paused for a moment, looking down at my scars.

What have I done?

***

I sat in my bedroom in solitude for a good 20 minutes, eager to get away from the bathroom. I felt at ease in there, but remembering all my memories with Jack made me feel like he wasn't worth making myself so miserable.

I heard a ringing sound echo throughout my room, and instantly registered it as the ringtone of my phone. My hands fumbled in my pockets for my phone. I glanced at the caller ID, then threw it across the room.

The screen lit up and I hesitated.

I made my way to my phone slowly, anticipating what was to come.

New Voicemail Received!

I let it play repeatedly, memorising the words as I heard them.

"Now you and I can be together. Forever."

. . . . . .

Thank you for over 400 reads!
Votes and comments are much appreciated X

Dream impossible dreams x

Chantelle