Chapter Three - No Such Thing as Miracles

Maka was in and out of consciousness and she found herself being carried through the forest.

The only thing she saw was the sunlight shining in from in between the tree branches and leaves high above.

Maka....Are you alright...?....

She heard a smooth voice echo through her head.

She felt light headed and weak.

She lifted a gloved hand and saw that it was splattered with blood, and looked down at her clothes to see the same result.

Her eyes filled with tears and she closed them.

“Soul....”She mumbled groggily, and dug her head into the stranger’s chest.

Death the Kid was carrying her through the forest, when he noticed something didn’t feel right. 

So he investigated the forest and the mission himself.

He knew that some of his friends had died, and just barely managed to save Maka.

He watched as she slipped back to unconsciousness and sighed, lowering his head.

How was he gonna tell her that Soul didn’t

make it?

Why did his father send them to kill this witch when she was in fact, more deadly than Arachnae, Medusa, and Asura?

Didn’t he know it might kill them?

Kid stopped at the end of the forest and looked up at Death city.

“We’re almost there, Maka.” He whispered, and continued to walk, heading towards the DWMA.

Maka woke up to find herself in the infirmary, on a bed, with her torso wrapped up in bandages.

“Soul...”She groaned, and licked her dry lips wet.

Then she gasped and sat up quicker than she should.

“SOUL!!!”

“Maka, shh...don’t do that, or you won’t heal right...”

She looked over to the side to see her father, Spirit.

“Dad?!”

He tried to smile a little, and scooted over towards her in a chair, nodding.

“Yes, Maka. You took quite a fall back there. You’re lucky you survived. And you messed up your wrist pretty bad too.”

Maka growled and shook her head, scooting away from him.

“Leave me alone, you damn cheater! I hate you!” She yelled at him.

But surprisingly, Spirit remained calm.

“I know i’ve made some really bad choices, and I messed up. But please, just rest.”

Maka lay back down and began to sob, her back facing him.

“Where’s Soul?”

Spirit sighed.

“Maka...sweetheart...He didn’t make it...”

She bit her lower lip and shook her head.

“I don’t believe you.”

“Mak----”

Maka sat up in bed again angrily and pointed to the door.

“OUT!!!”She roared.

Spirit’s expression turned hurt, and he stood up, walking out silently just as Stein rolled in on his chair.

Maka glared at them and let her face fall into her hands, her shoulders shaking with each sob she made.