Chapter Eleven - The Last Light

Maka opened her eyes to find her and Patty at the top of the stairs in front of the Dwma.

Patty groaned and Maka looked at her in worry, shaking her awake.

"Patty!" She gasped.

Patty slowly opened up her eyes and winced in pain.

"Maka…I think some of my ribs shattered…"

Maka observed her chest and sure enough, there was blood and things stuck up in odd angles.

She stood up to her feet and assisted Patty up the rest of the stairs as Stein ran out the front doors of the Dwma, holding Spirit in weapon form.

"Patty! Maka! Are you two alright?"

They both nodded and Spirit transformed from weapon back into human, taking Patty from Maka.

Stein looked at her.

"Where's Liz?"

Maka looked away and they can hear Patty whimper.

"She didn't make it…"

Stein's eyes widened.

"Oh…"

She looked back up at him.

"And Kid is still fighting Mistress Valencia all by himself."

Stein looked out to the forest, squinting his eyes so he can see the details, and saw flashes between the branches of the trees.

He looked over at Spirit.

"We need some assistance. Call the weapons and their meisters."

Spirit nodded and took out a pocket mirror from his jacket, calling them.

Maka held her hand out for it and Spirit hesitantly gave it to her.

Once it picked up, she saw some familiar faces of all the other weapon partners.

She took a deep breath, and began to speak.

"Weapons and meisters… students are dying, and partners are being separated. We need some serious help and support over here at the Dwma, and some support in the forest behind Death City. As we speak, Death the Kid is facing the witch mistress, Valencia, alone. So we need all the help we can get. Good luck to those who attend."

She tapped the surface and it returned to normal, her reflection replacing its view.

Her eyes widened at what she saw.

Her hair was messed up and stuck in places and her face was covered in scratches. She looked down at her outfit to see that she only had one heel still on, and her dress was ripped and burned.

Her lower lip quivered and she looked away in shame, handing the mirror back to her father.

Spirit replaced it back in his coat and pulled her into a gentle embrace.

"Maka…You're still really beautiful, no matter what you wear or how your hair looks."

She smiled a little and returned the embrace.

"Thanks, Papa…"

…:oOo:…

Valencia growled and threw fireballs at him and he dodged just in time, throwing himself back.

He landed on a tall tree branch, posed like a jungle cat starving for prey, and looked up to see her floating up on her broomstick.

He stuck a hand out and grasped the air around her head, making it hard to breathe.