Chapter Four- The Brief Nightmare, and...

Once Kid and Maka got to Gallows Mansion, they shared brief goodnights, and went to their rooms; Maka being assigned one.

Kid began to toss and turn in the darkness of his bedroom, tangling the bed sheets between his legs. His eyebrows were furrowed, and his teeth and fists were clenched.

"Sties of sin, Sties of sin, stirring your soul within…making…it hard…to sleep…"

Kid opened his golden eyes to see that he was standing in a cold, empty room, with no doors to open or run through. Just a window that was open, with a light wind blowing around the dark blue lace curtains outward from it. And a woman in a rocking chair who was sitting in front of the window, with her back turned to him.

But he didn't necessarily need to see her face to tell what she looked like. She had dark hair that was caressing below her shoulders, and she had pale skin. She didn't even to seem to be remotely old. And she was singing.

"Roses are no longer red… The wind, it no longer hums… Oh, my baby darling, I've grown to hate what you've become…"

Kid raised an eyebrow, and began to take light footsteps towards her, trying not to be heard.

But he was proven unsuccessful when she froze in her seat and stopped rocking, gripping the arms.

She began to sing more quietly, and her nails dug deep into the wood of the chair dangerously.

"Your blood…Her blood….so innocent and red… how about a new shade, like dark black, instead…?"

He froze as soon as he heard those words, and he tried to speak, but they only came out in song.

"Who the hell are you…? What do you mean…?"

He slapped a hand over his mouth, and his eyes widened. Why the hell did he just sing?

The woman stood up from her seat, not turning in his direction.

"Your soul is seen…"

He slowly made his way towards her, and put a hand on her shoulder. She looked over it at him as lightning flashed outside, and it began to rain.

Kid's eyes widened and he removed his hand from her shoulder. She had the shadow of his face.

There was no doubt about it…She was Kid's mother.

Kid began to back away as his mother stepped towards him in smooth, silent strides, the black skirt she wore seeming to be writhing around her legs.

Red mist began to writhe from beneath the wooden floorboards and the dark grey paint on the walls began to peel.

She reached her arms out towards him, and her eyes filled with tears of both sorrow and joy.

"My little darling…I've grown to hate what you've become…"

Lightning flashed again and thunder rumbling, vibrating the house.

Despite that he haven't seen her or heard her voice since he was two, he knew it was her. But he had a feeling that itched across his skin like cancer, that he wasn't safe. It was a shinigami's instinct.

Kid felt the rough, grimy wall make contact with his back and he held his breath; his mother a scary sight.

Her eyes were wide and blank, she was skeleton-thin, and her hair was frizzy.

As she neared, her blank eyes began to grow mad.

Madness.

He looked around for something to defend himself with in case she decided to try to assassinate him. But he saw nothing.