Chapter 36 - UNCUT

Chapter 36 - UNCUT

The afternoon dragged on as the Lords digested what Percy had told them.  They questioned, they argued, they speculated, but they couldn’t get past the fact that Percy was right.  If there was no heir the King would have total control and with all the infighting the Kingdom could easily be overrun.  They never considered my fear that the King might wish to kill me so as to raise the heir on his own.  No, all the pieces seemed to fit perfectly into Percy’s picture.

The Lords were still discussing into the evening but the subject was now centred on what the appropriate response would be.  Percy actively moved through the conversations. He made the pretence of listening but always would say something that would draw everyone towards his line of thinking. 

Thomas had been introduced and the Lords had been hospitable to him.  Percy managed to direct the conversation away from the events that surrounded their illegitimacy.  It was instead hinted that Torcall was denied marriage because of her social position.  The murder and the accusations were not mentioned. 

I was seated at a table with Thomas and Jonathan watching Percy mingle between the groups in the hall.

“Impressive,” Jonathan mumbled more to himself.

“Yes, his tongue is razor sharp.  You grew up with him?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, if I was bored I would get Percy to argue himself out of a corner.   I remember once we spent an entire day with him trying to convince me that one could teach a horse to talk.  He claimed that it was possible if you were willing to devote the time to it.  And don’t even contemplate bringing up the subject to him.  Knowing Percy he would continue the argument from where he left it.”

Jonathan and Thomas both laughed at the thought.

“It was helpful on the Tournament circuit.  If anyone questioned us Percy simply spoke until the objection was withdrawn.  His skill was perfected with much practice.”

“What happens if they find the truth?”

“Well Percy will find a good reason for the variation I am sure.  At least this explanation was close to the truth.  Although he did not tell me what he was going to say he did contemplate explaining your escape on divine intervention.  He thought that if an Angel freed you from your chains and visited me at the same time it would solve many future problems.”

“How so?” asked Thomas.

 “If an angel released Jonathan then Torc’s fame would grow,” I smiled at Jonathan, “and most angels are fabled to be blonde with blue eyes.  So if the child is to be fair, well that could be explained also.”   I felt my face becoming warm as both men I had slept with raised eyebrows in a similar way.

“He was going to claim Immaculate Conception?” Jonathan growled.

“I put my foot down to that one.  I know that the Lords are superstitious but that was fraught with perils.  Bending the truth I feel uncomfortable with, so all out blasphemy I could not abide.  But then again, knowing Percy he probably told me this to soften me, so that the untruths he told today seem a lesser evil.”

“I am glad he is on our side.”

I looked at Percy and felt a small crinkle develop on my forehead. “Yes, yes that is true,” I mumbled as I fought with a piece to the puzzle that did not seem to fit.

I excused myself as it got late.   Jonathan noticed my departure but continued his discussion with Lord Richard.  We would have to be careful from this point on.