Chapter 40 - UNCUT

This is the same as the PG13 Chapter - Maeb is heavily pregnant so... Also this means I can post the PG13 and the UNCUT chapters on the same day...

Chapter 40 - UNCUT

Despite everything the days came and went.

Lord Percival's funeral was a sober affair and was well attended by the people.  I placed another wreath on a different grave but this time the tears weren't there to cry.  He was entombed with his ancestors in his battle armour.  Percy held his head high throughout his first official appearance as a Lord. 

It was the next day that the scouts returned.  Their horses were sweating heavily and the men looked exhausted.  I listened as they confirmed Eve's words.  King Edward had amasted a large Army and was indeed moving in this direction.  His troops were supported by those of Lord Harold, Lord  Eric, Lord Christopher, Lord Albert and, of course, Lord Robert - my father.  I felt the sting of betrayal.  After all this, he still actively supported Edward.  He supported that murderer rather than his own daughter. 

I barely heard the rest of the report.  Something was said about it taking weeks to reach here because of this size of the baggage train.  Apparently Edward was bringing whores and dancers to keep moral up.  The men laughed at this.

Weeks.  Would we be ready to fight so many men in such a short time?  But Jonathan looked more than confident.  He looked relieved.  I knew that Jonathan could make the same journey in half the time with disciplined men.

Then the Lords started to return with their men.  The Army started amassing and in the fields surrounding us tents were raised.  I took over running the house as my experience dealing with such large numbers was needed.  The Kitchen fires were blazing constantly and the hall was full every hour of the day with men eating or discussing. 

Percy had a large map rolled out in the library and spent many hours with Jonathan and the other Lords.   From what I heard the consensus was that we should meet Edward on a field of our choosing.  We would march out and intercept him before he reached us.  That way we would ensure that the terrain was favourable to us.

I struggled under the weight of my pregnancy.  The midwife was happy with the baby's positioning and how I was progressing.  I was less than happy.  I was ready for it to be finished.

Although I did not see much of Jonathan during the day he still came to me every night to hold me.  After Aine's funeral he was grumpy and distant until I realised the reason.  Percy had held me and done what Jonathan wished he could do.  He was jealous. But it didn't take me long to alleviate his fears.

Even in the late stages of my pregnancy I still managed to show him how much I loved him and only him.  Although I was not as active as I would like to be we still found pleasure in each other's arms.  I still craved his touch and despite being so large I woke him up at odd times in the night demanding his attention.   He found this amusing and was happy to oblige me.

It was two weeks after Aine's funeral when the last wagon was hitched and they the men began to march.  Like a long snake they wound down the road.  Jonathan, Thomas, Douglas and the Twelve headed up the column, behind them came Lord Percy and his men, then the other lords.  At the rear came my wagon and the baggage train packed with the essentials - shelter, weapons, and food. 

I waved goodbye to the wives of the twelve watching from the palisade walls.  I was not allowed to fight but I was going to be there.  The birth was near and it was necessary that the arrival of the heir was heralded.  There were risks of course - both to me and from me.  Should the birth not go well then the emphasis would need to be shifted to Jonathan's claim on the throne.  Doing this would cause confusion at a time when the men needed to be focused and certain.  And of course I stood a greater risk of assassination here.  But it was decided that I could not be left behind.  The risks were outweighed by the possible benefits.  If the heir was born before the battle and was healthy and male, well that would prove our cause.