Chapter 2: The Return

"What happened Legolas?"
Faramir demanded.
They had left the city over an hour ago and were now riding back to where Dale used to be.
The abandoned city now served as a place where the rulers of Erebor, Mirkwood, and whoever else happened to be there, could meet and discuss certain matters.
In this case, they would be discussing the outcome of their meeting with the Easterlings.

"Legolas, what happened?"
Faramir asked again.
It was raining and the three travelers were drenched.
"I do not know."
Legolas replied quietly.
"It has been almost three years since this happened Legolas."
Faramir continued,
"The only reason your father allowed you to come and help defend your people against the Easterlings was because you said that you had it under control."

"I do not know what happened Faramir!"
Legolas shouted.
"You could have started a war with the Easterlings!" Faramir rose his voice, trying to keep his anger in check. "How would your father have felt about that?"
Legolas glared at him.
Before he could speak Gimli, who was riding with Legolas, intervened.
"Enough! We solved the problem with the Easterlings as we were sent to do and we do not need to worry about a war starting."
He narrowed his eyes at Faramir.
"Or mention what happened to anyone."

Faramir sighed and turned to Legolas.
"Forgive me, I was wrong to become angry with you."
Legolas made no reply, which only made Faramir feel worse.
He knew better then anyone what Legolas had been through.
He had seen him in Barad-Dur, he had seen him tortured by Sauron, and slowly being turned into a monster.
The scar that Amarth had given him was still on the left side of Legolas' face.
They rode in silence until the rain stopped.
The three companions made camp for the night and prepared to move on in the morning.
For the rest of the journey not a single word was spoken.

()()()()

Aragorn paced impatiently back and forth on the stone road.
Faramir and the others should be returning that day.
Aragorn had wanted to go with them but he had been reminded by Gandalf that as a king he could no longer take part of excursions such as this, there were times when he needed to let others take care of things for him.
After the battle in Mordor, Aragorn had led his people back to Minas Tirith, slowly they rebuilt their city.
Once most of the damage had been repaired, Aragorn had been crowned king.
But problems had come at the free peoples of Middle Earth from all directions.
There were almost no resources to help with rebuilding and Easterlings and Haradrim had caused trouble for everyone.
Thankfully Aragorn had been able to resolve the problem with the Haradrim peacefully, the Easterlings had been another matter.

They had been attacking everyone and trying to drive them out of their homes once again.
It had gotten so bad that Aragorn, Eomer, Thranduil, and Dain had agreed to send messengers to King Khaten and ask that he deal with his people.
Faramir had offered to go, as well as Gimli.
It had made Aragorn nervous when Legolas had volunteered.
Though he knew that Sauron's power had left him, Legolas still lost control of himself sometimes and would become violent, attacking whoever came near him.

The free peoples had made a promise that they wouldn't kill any Easterlings, they didn't want to start a war, but when Legolas had been assisting some elves in driving out a small band of Easterlings he had gone mad and had almost killed five of them, including some of the elves who had restrained him.
It had been almost three years since Legolas' last incident, which may have been why Thranduil had agreed to let his son go instead of Haldir.

A large number of elves were living in Mirkwood now, a few had left with Elrohir to rebuild the Grey Havens.
Aragorn missed him terribly, he missed all of his friends.
The only good that had come out of this Easterling problem was that he had been able to see his friends again.
Including three certain hobbits...
"Father! Look at this! Look what I have!"
Aragorn turned to the sound of his son's voice.
Eldarion was now twelve years old, he was growing into a fine young man.
He had his father's dark hair and his mother's blue eyes, he wore the Evenstar pendant around his neck as he ran towards his father with something in his hands.

"Look what Frodo gave me!"
Aragorn widened his eyes in surprise when he saw what it was.
"It's Frodo's old sword! He said I could have it!"
Eldarion smiled at his father.
"That is a very special sword."
Aragorn said looking down lovingly at his son.
"Frodo said it glows blue when there's orcs nearby!" Eldarion continued, "I'll be able to know when any are coming!"
Aragorn smiled.
"There have not been any orcs in these lands for awhile son, you shouldn't have to worry."
"I'm not worried, if I ever see an orc I'll kill it!"

Aragorn smiled, "I have no doubt that you will."

Eldarion placed the sword into the sheath that hung around his waist.
A horn blew in the distance, the messengers had returned.
"Come on father!"
Eldarion raced off while Aragorn followed at a slower pace.
Thranduil was there as well as Dain. Haldir nodded in Aragorn's direction as he walked up to them.
Gandalf and the hobbits were standing nearby talking quietly amongst themselves.
It still grieved Aragorn when he saw only three hobbits instead of the four he had met in Bree.
It seems like ages since that happened.
Aragorn thought.
The hobbits smiled at Aragorn as he arrived but there was something off about Frodo's smile.
What was wrong with the hobbit? Why had he given Bilbo's sword away?
"There they are!"
Eldarion exclaimed.
Faramir, Legolas, and Gimli approached the small group.
Faramir and Legolas led their horses while Gimli kept his distance.
He still didn't like horses.

"What did Khaten say?"
Dain asked.
"He agreed to keep his people off of our lands as long as we stay off his."
Faramir replied.
Aragorn sighed in relief.
The last thing any of them had wanted was a war with the Easterlings.
"Did anything else happen?"
Gandalf asked.
"There was a small struggle, but nothing serious."
Faramir replied.
Gandalf raised an eyebrow.
That's when Aragorn noticed that Faramir's shoulder was wrapped up. Aragorn walked over to him and carefully removed the cloth.

"You were stabbed with a knife."
Aragorn said as he inspected the wound.
"Easterlings, you know how they are. Always wanting a fight."
Gimli stated gruffly.
Aragorn smiled at his friend, Gimli seemed alright.
Finally he turned to Legolas.
The elf smiled at him, his blue eyes clear and a smile on his face..
Everything seems alright.
Aragorn was thankful that nothing had happened.

"Come now, you have been traveling for days and you are all weary."
Gandalf told them.
"You can tell us everything later."
Everyone else agreed to this and began to leave.
Dain, and a few other dwarves that had come, returned home.
But Gimli wanted to stay with his friends for a little while longer.
This was the first time the Fellowship had been together since the battle in Mordor.
Aragorn, Eldarion, Faramir, Gandalf, and the hobbits were staying in Mirkwood.
Thranduil had allowed them to stay, but Aragorn knew that elvenking was uneasy with his guests.
Mainly himself and the hobbits.
Why? He didn't know.

Thranduil didn't mind if Gimli stayed for a little while, as long as it wasn't overnight.
Thranduil didn't seem to have a problem with Eldarion or Faramir.
Just Aragorn, Gimli, and the hobbits.
As they returned to the palace Haldir whispered something into Aragorn's ear.
"There is something they are not telling us."
Aragorn looked at him skeptically.
"What do you mean?"
"Something happened. I am not sure what but whatever it is they are keeping it hidden."
Aragorn glanced over his shoulder at his friends.
Legolas and Gimli walked with the hobbits and Eldarion, laughing and talking.
Faramir however, seemed very quiet.

Perhaps there was something wrong.
"I will ask Faramir about it later."
Haldir nodded and picked up his pace, allowing Aragorn to join his friends.
Little did he know that they were being watched from the shadows.