Friend or Enemy?

No one had spoken for the rest of the night. The next morning,everyone was on edge. Aragorn knew that Haldir had been sent to bring Legolas home, and he also knew that Legolas wouldn't go back home.

Both were now arguing back and forth over the matter.
Both shouting at each other in elvish.

"What are they saying Aragorn?"
Gimli asked as he put out the fire.
Aragorn glanced over at the two elves.
"Nothing I want to repeat."

Amarth chuckled at Aragorn's comment.
Aragorn looked at him skeptically and Amarth shrugged.
"I would have said the same thing."

Aragorn exchanged a look with Gimli.
Last night, Amarth had been the reason that Legolas had lost control again. But he had also stopped the fight, and had prevented Aragorn from getting injured.

He had remained out of everyone's way since the incident. He didn't say or do anything. He just waited for them to be ready to go.

Aragorn turned his attention back over to Legolas and Haldir. Their argument wasn't going anywhere.

Haldir continued to insist that Legolas needed to go back with him, while Legolas made it clear to him that he would not go back.

Haldir threw his hands up in defeat and shouted, "Your father should have sent the entire army after you!"
He stormed away from Legolas. Still shouting.
"What did he expect you would do? Did he honestly think that you would come willingly? No! You are the most stubborn elf that I've ever met!"

Legolas watched him go off by himself. He looked like he could care less.

Aragorn sighed. So far this quest of their's was not going well.
"I don't want to rush you or anything, but we really need to get going."

Amarth said quietly with his hands clasped behind his back.
Aragorn sighed.
He walked over to where Haldir stood.

"Aragorn, please talk to Legolas!"
Haldir said as soon as Aragorn approached.
"What makes you think that he will listen to me?"
Aragorn asked.

"You are his friend Aragorn! He will listen to you."
Aragorn couldn't help it.
He laughed.
"Haldir, Legolas is more stubborn than a dwarf. Once he puts his mind to something nothing can shake him."

Haldir looked at him in disbelief.
"What am I supposed to do? Thranduil ordered me not to return unless I had him with
me."

"Then don't go back."
Aragorn said simply.
Haldir looked at him in confusion.
"Come with us. We could use your help."

"Aragorn, I have orders."
"Your orders are to bring Legolas back. But Thranduil never specified when you had to."
Aragorn pointed out.

"Think about it Haldir, help us defeat Alatar, and then you can return home with Legolas."
Haldir still looked uneasy.
"Besides, isn't your first job to protect him?"

Haldir closed his eyes and sighed.
"Alright. I will go."
He reopened his eyes and drilled Aragorn with a cold stare.
"But if his life becomes endangered in any way, I am bringing him back to his father."

()()()

"Well isn't this unheard of."
Gimli stated.
"Three elves, a man, and a dwarf, are traveling through unknown lands, to go and kill a being who has remained hidden for thousands of years, and can only be killed by stabbing him in the heart with a small dagger."

Turning to Aragron he said, "None of this makes sense."
Aragorn sighed.
"I thought that after Sauron was defeated all of our troubles would have been over."