Chapter 1

The elusive Phantom, usually so careful about his every movement, was too angry to fathom what he was doing. He snarled to himself, pacing back and forth, his pristine white mask covering his ferocity. M. de Chagny and that daroga had slipped away from him. Again. Even Christine was gone with them. He was right at the edge of the crystal blue lake, where Christine and he had spent on splendid afternoon together. One where she wasn't afraid of him. One where he felt normal. He snapped at the rat-catcher, who was secretly working for the Phantom, to go and fetch the Shade. They would need to know.

The rat-catcher, shaking in his boots, went through the winding, spiraling, secret pathways underneath the Opera House.

"Shade!...Shade!....Shade!"

His weak voice was a mere whisper, but that was enough to have the sound reverberate across the walls. That was the way the Phantom built them, after all. To catch any and all sounds...Unless you knew how to avoid the echo. The Shade was the Phantom's apprentice, of a sort. He taught them nearly all his tricks, in exchange for working for him. The rat-catcher, still shaking in fear, called out its name once more, before seeing their captivating green eyes, like a cat's.

"E-The Phantom wants you, right away." Without a response, the Shade brushed past the sniveling man, their felt, black top hat barely hinting at the ceiling and their coattails dragging on the floor. The rat-catcher, by the name of Picci, whimpered and, much like the rats he catches, scampered away.

The Shade moved swiftly through the supposedly 'terrifying maze of tunnels'. The Phantom had taught them how to outwit the tricks the mind plays in the dark, and when having fear. It soon appeared near the Phantom's simple house, near the famous lake of Rue Scribe. They nearly glided along, nearing the Phantom himself. He turned on his heel furiously, then his body relaxed, easing its own tension. The Phantom pulled himself up, gaining composure.

"So Picci is back in the Opera, then?" The figure made a discreet nod. The Phantom narrowed his sparking brown eyes beneath his mask. "You may reveal yourself, Shade. There is no one about." Typically, the Shade did everything immediately, but it hesitated before shedding its hat, coat, and suit. Dark locks of almond colored hair tumbled past the 'Shade's' shoulders. Its eyes remained bright and alert. Now, all it had on its body was trousers and a plain shirt. The shoes were gone as its feet, pale and small, stood on the lush grass. The Phantom seemed pleased.

"You know, I should have you like this more often, Celestine." She flinched as he used her true name. It was not something she heard very often. In fact, only the Phantom said it. But he was the only one who knew.

"That would make my job much harder, wouldn't it, Erik?"

The Phantom smirked. This is what he liked about her. She was stealthy and obedient, but smart as well.

"Oh, my dear! I thought you would have known that your job would be difficult from the start, when you came to me."

She dropped eye contact, not feeling anger, but fear. Celestine reprimanded herself; Erik taught her that if fear ruled her mind, the rest of the body would crumble. But she couldn't help it this time. It was too much to bear. She wasn't strong enough...She never was.