Chapter 10

He continued in his fashion, moving the rope about with ease. Celestine was doubting his words and turned to leave when the rope caught her by the foot.

"Not so fast, my dear... I haven't shown you my final trick!" He was somehow twisting the rope without so much as two of his fingers moving. It released her foot, and she turned to run. Erik's eyes flashed and the rope caught her again. He pulled the rope, hard, so hard, in fact, it aroused the sand around them. It clouded Erik's view temporarily, although he was expecting her to come crashing into him. She did, but looked pale once more. Her eyes, her lovely eyes were dimmed, and the Phantom did not understand...Until he lowered his gaze. He stumbled back, off-guard.

"No, no, no. I didn't, I didn't!" He was appalled at himself, even terrified. For his own Punjab lasso was securely around Celestine's neck.

Her lips formed a faint smile. As she opened them to speak, her voice was soft.

"I warned you-" She slowly unraveled the rope from her throat. It didn't matter. The internal damage was already done. Erik ran forward, catching her before she fell. He sank to his knees, her head in his lap.

"This isn't real." He was muttering underneath his breath."This is another trick, an illusion." With one hand she touched his face, the other interlocked with his fingers

"It's alright, Erik, it's alright." Her voice was high and tinny.

"How can you say that? I-"

"It's in your nature, dear." Tears slid from under his mask.

"You're right. I am a monster." Erik waited for her to respond, to reprimand him, but she didn't. Celestine just stared up at him, her eyes still open. He stared at them in horror, not finding the strength to close them. He picked her up and took her to his bedroom. Erik moved her hands so that they were clasped together on her chest. His lips brushed at her forehead, then pulled back. He left her, closing the door quietly, as if not to wake her.

As if in a trance, he took off his mask and put it on the doorknob. Then, Erik grabbed an empty satchel and headed outside, filling it with heavy rocks. Taking a deep breath, he tied the satchel to himself. Looking at his reflection in the lake, he no longer cringed. He even smiled as he jumped into the water.