Thursday

They pulled back from the kiss slowly, almost hesitating. Sasuke's hand brushed Naruto's cheek again, softly, before dropping to his side as they stepped apart.

Naruto felt a blush crawl up his neck and touched his lips lightly with his own hand.

Was Ino lying about Sasuke never kissing anyone?

He opened his mouth, but all that came out was, "...I guess I fell for a trick."

That ruined the mood almost entirely, and Sasuke looked surprised. "Hm?" Naruto bent over to retrieve his bag, looping it safely over his shoulders. When it was clear that he gave no intention of explaining, Sasuke tried again. "What do you mean?"

Naruto rubbed the back of his head, almost sheepishly, but his expression was serious and unreadable when he finally replied, "No, never mind."

●●●

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Sasuke woke with a start, eyes flashing open. He was covered in a light sheen of sweat and was breathing heavily, memories from the afternoon before still racing through his mind.

"Ugh," he muttered, before slamming his hand down on the alarm clock to stop the beeping. I don't want to get up...

And a quiet thought echoed in the back of his mind, nearly unheard.

It's happening again.

I keep taking his jokes seriously.

The water was cool and refreshing against his sleep-deprived face when he got up to wash. He glanced up in the mirror halfway through, and raised an eyebrow at his reflection-unkempt hair, dark circles, pallid skin. Sasuke looked tired; even he could tell.

But that's how I've been, though, up until last week, right-never taking my relationships seriously? So I guess that just makes me a hypocrite.

As usual.

●●●

He found himself at Naruto's train station once again. Somehow, in two days, it had become a horrifyingly familiar routine.

What kind of expression should I wear when I face him today? I haven't felt like this in a long time.

What if Naruto's attitude changes?

If it's been just a joke up until now... If that's the case, even being friends is-

"Yo. Morning."

Naruto's voice came as a shock, and he jumped, twisting to see Naruto standing directly behind him.

"Ah," he said, voice hesitant. "Good morning."

Naruto stared at him for a moment before frowning, eyes narrowing. "What's with your face?"

Sasuke jolted slightly. "Huh? What's wrong with it?"

"You were acting normal yesterday when you called me, so why are you so quiet now? I don't get you," Naruto complained, ignoring Sasuke's question. "Oh, that's right. You better not try anything weird, like a morning kiss or something. Yesterday's was anaccident. It's all your fault."

Sasuke looked vaguely surprised. Then he shook his head and laughed. "It wasn't an accident, it was a trap!"

"Don't make it sound like it was my fault," Naruto whined, but just like that, the worries Sasuke had been harboring and the tense atmosphere lingering between them vanished in an instant.