Chapter 6 - Regret

Dipper wanted to turn the RV around as soon as they found out Markus and Kai were missing. Wirt made sure he stayed forward. "My son and god-son are back there! We left them in the fight like a bunch of idiots!"

"Dipper. I know what they mean to you and I know why you're worried but we can only hope they made it out. The PIAA won't bother with two boys." He told Dipper as he put his hand on his shoulder.

"Uncle Dipper?" A voice asked behind him.

Without turning his head to see who it was, Dipper just asked, "What is it?"

Voilet was standing right behind Wirt and Dipper's seats. A sad look crossed her face but she wiped it off. "As scared as I am....I believe Kai and Markus can handle whatever comes their way....as long as they're together."

"We can't risk anymore people. Once we stop this war from happening, that's when we'll be able to get your boys back. Hopefully that will all happen soon." Wirt told them.

"I wish I never listened to you." Dipper said under his breath as he watched the road.

Wirt closed his mouth and lowered his head. "I'm sorry Dipper....For what it's worth."

After a few hours, they passed the familiar sign that read "Welcome to Gravity Falls: The Weirdest Place on Earth". The RV drove up to the Mystery Shack and Wirt followed Lunuus and Wendy out but was shoved through the door and fell in the mud. He looked back and saw Dipper standing over him with flared nostrils.

"You made us go there and pick a fight with an entire agency! Then you made us leave without my son and god-son!" He shouted at Wirt as he picked him up by his shirt collar. The door to the shack opened to Dipper throwing a punch across Wirt's jaw knocking him back in the mud. He kicked at Dipper's leg sending him down. The two then started to wrestle shoving each other down.

"That's enough!" Stan called from the porch and ran out to pull them apart. Wendy grabbed Dipper while Wirt was pulled back by Stan. Dipper had a bruise on his cheek while Wirt's mouth had some blood dripping down.

Wirt looked away from Dipper to the shack porch where Beatrice and his kids were standing horrified at him.

He dropped his head in shame. Before he could speak, he felt Bea's arms around his neck and her close against him. He felt a few other smaller arms wrap around his back and shoulders. They all held him there in the mud.

Dipper scoffed at what he saw and turned to the valley view. "Dipper. I swear on my life....we will get your boys back safe and sound." He heard Wirt say. "It's time to end this war before it gets worse."

While everyone else seemed moved by Wirt's words, Dipper was too mad at his potential loss. Kronos died being Markus' guardian angel, and Dipper failed protecting his own son since he was born. He guessed that's why he needed a guardian angel to look after Markus while he was away so much. Dipper excused himself from the scene and stormed into the shack past Great Aunt Jane and up to the roof overlooking the sunset.

He sat himself down on the roof's surface and rested his arm on his knee sitting up. His other arm holding his weight up and his other leg resting down flat on the ground but bent knee-out. After a few minutes, he turned and saw Mabel sitting beside him hugging her knees. A few minutes more and they both saw Tyrone come up and sit in between them with his feet hanging over the side.

"What..." Dipper tried to say. They both turned their heads to him letting the sunset reflect on their cheeks. "What do you guys think our lives would be like if we hadn't gone to Gravity Falls all those years ago?....All these good people would still be ok....Some would still be alive.....Our parents would still be here...."

Ty was the first to answer. "While we did lose loved ones....Ones who seemed to be the only one's besides each other who cared about us. We brought Great Uncle Stan's brother back. We got McGucket's memory back for him....I found someone who loves me....And so did Mabel and you, Dip."

"Yeah. You fulfilled your dream as a professional spook-fighter guy. AND captured the heart of a rich girl. We all got what we worked for....we just had to let go of some stuff. B-but we still had good memories with them." Mabel added looking ahead towards the sun.

"And Bill Cipher would've come back either way. But he wouldn't have been stopped. The world would be in ruin without any of us there to stop it. You see Dipper. Without us Mystery Trips, the world would be conquered by some demon or alien or some weirdo and....On a personal level if I hadn't gone to Gravity Falls, I wouldn't be here right now regardless of what the future brought...." Ty said biting his lip to hold back tears.

Mabel scooted over and wrapped her arms around Ty resting her head against his arm. Dipper leaned against him for support without making eye contact. The siblings watched together as the sun set. "Wirt is right. It's time to end this war. Everyone deserves the life we were blessed with. The good. The bad. And the weird."

Mabel and Ty turned their heads to Dipper and nodded. "But no one could ever have a life as awesome as ours. I got two bro-bros by my side on one end and my kids and hubby on the other." Mabel said with a smile showing off her dimples.

"We'll always be the Mystery Trips." Ty said wrapping his arms around his siblings. Mabel and Dipper shared a fist bump in front of their brother.