Chapter 5- Open Eyes

Firekit woke up from a deep sleep. He felt the urge to see something, to know what was happening around him. He opened his small, emerald green eyes. He blinked in the sunlight shining through the bramble walls.
"Hello, Firekit!" a cherry mew startled Firekit. He jumped up, fur fluffing up. "Firekit!" the voice purred. "It's okay, it's just me, Squirrelflight!" Squirrelflight. Where had Firekit heard that name before? She shook out his fur and turned to face the cat. The she-cat was a dark ginger with green eyes and a white paw. "Are you my mother?" Firekit asked. Squirrelflight's eyes shone with pride. "Yes, I am!" she responded happily.
Firekit looked beside him. He had four littermates. There was a small ginger tabby she-kit with white paws and a fluffy tail, a light brown tabby she-kit with a fluffy tail, and a pale ginger tom. "What are their names?" Firekit asked his mother curiously. "This is Snowkit," Squirrelfight flicked her furry tail towards the ginger tabby with white paws. "Fuzzykit," She nuzzled the light brown tabby. "And Sandkit." Firekit's mother cast a loving glance at the pale ginger tom.
"You're the first to open your eyes." Squirrelflight added with a purr. As if on signal, Sandkit woke up from sleeping and opened his bright amber eyes. "Wow!" he meowed, sitting up. "Firekit!" Sandkit got to his paws and clumsily padded around their sleeping sisters.
"Hello, Sandkit!" Firekit mewed back. Sandkit looked at the entrance of the nursery. "Can we go out there?" he asked Squirrelflight. "Slow down!" Squirrelflight meowed, her eyes dancing with laughter. "You and Firekit just opened your eyes! Wait a little bit."
"Please? Please, please, please!" Sandkit pleaded. "Yeah, I want to got outside!" Firekit chimed in. "We will wait a day or two, hopefully by then your sisters will have opened their eyes." Squirrelflight promised.
"Fine," Firekit sat down, Sandkit right beside him. "Hey, while you wait, I can teach you a game that you can play!" Squirrelflight meowed, trying to lift her kit's spirits. Cool! A game! Firekit thought. "It's called mossball." Squirrelflight continued.
The ginger she-cat scooped up a ball of moss in her paws and tossed it into the air. "You throw the moss into the air and try to catch it." Squirrelflight explained. "I want to try!" Firekit mewed, grabbing the moss in his jaws. "You're so eager!" the kit's mother meowed. "How about you try to walk first." she suggested.
Firekit nodded. He stood up and took a few tentative steps, and the stumbling stormed into walking, and then trotting. "Squirrelflight! I can walk!" he squeaked. Sandkit tottered as he stood up, and followed what Firekit did. Soon, the two brothers were running around their mother, letting out squeaks of excitement.
"Can we play mossball now?" Sandkit asked, slowing down. Squirrelflight sighed and shook her head. "Already growing up, huh?" she purred, tossing the mossball to Firekit. "Try to catch it!" Firekit hissed playfully and he threw the moss into the air. Sandkit crouched down and leaped into the air, snagging the moss with his tiny claws. "That's great!" Squirrelfight praised. "You're getting the hang of it!"
Due to the noise, Snowkit and Fuzzykit stirred in their sleep, twitching their ears and tails. "Fuzzykit! Snowkit!" Firekit and Sandkit yowled in unison.
"You're sisters aren't the only ones you're waking up," grumbled a voice in the shadows of the bramble den. Firekit and Sandkit looked at the she-cat. She had long, cream-colored fur and icy blue eyes. "S-sorry!" Firekit apologized. Though the she-cat's face was stern, her eyes sparkled with amusement. "Don't worry about it. I'm Daisy by the way." she mewed. "Firekit, and this is my brother, Sandkit." Firekit flicked his tail towards his brother.
Daisy nodded. "Well, try to be a bit more quiet." she told them, resting her head on her paws and closing her eyes. Firekit shrugged. "Let's go check on Fuzzykit and Snowkit!" Sandkit suggested. Firekit nodded, padding over to his sisters with Sandkit by his side. Snowkit's paws moved around; she was obviously trying to push herself up. Once the tiny she-kit sat up, she opened her eyes. They were a beautiful icy blue. "Snowkit!" Sandkit cheered. I'm so glad you've opened your eyes. We might be able to go outside soon once Fuzzykit opens her eyes." he explained.
Snowkit' ears twitched. "Outside?" She cocked her head to one side. "Yeah," Firekit added. "Out there." He pointed with a paw towards the entrance of the nursery. "It's so bright!" Snowkit squinted in the sunlight. "Yeah, and we'll get to go out there if mother let's us!" Sandkit added, casting a playful glare at Squirrelflight. "Remember what I said," Squirrelflight reminded. "you can go out tomorrow if Fuzzykit has opened her eyes."
Firekit paced around, Snowkit started to totter around, testing out her legs, and Sandkit there the mossball in the air and tried to catch it. "When will Fuzzykit open her eyes?" Firekit asked at last. "When she's ready." Squirrelflight replied simply. "Just wait."
"I'm tired of waiting!" Sandkit hissed and prodded Fuzzykit's side. "Huh?" Fuzzykit meowed, blinking in the sunlight. "Your eyes! They're open!" Snowkit purred. Fuzzykit's eyes were also icy blue. Snowkit sat down next to Fuzzykit as she pushed herself up. Firekit realized that they looked almost identical, except for their fur color. They were both the smallest in the litter, their tails were both fluffy, and their eyes were round and blue.
"You're all beautiful kits!" Squirrelflight exclaimed happily, letting a purr rumble in her throat. "I know you'll turn out to be fine, strong warriors."