Dally and Darry; midnight talk

It was 2 am in the morning, and there really wasn't a good reason to be staying up this late. But Dallas was. Dally's eyes were sunken with missing sleep and stress as he leaned on the Curtis house porch. He stared distantly at the full moon, surrounded by the twinkle of stars.

The tow-headed boy heard a door behind him squeak open. He turned to see Darry, looking back at him, stress sunken in his own eyes. But unlike Dally's, Darry's eyes were considerate, and he closed the door behind him.

"Door's open you know." Darry simply said.

Dally looked at him nonchalantly, "How'd you know I was out here?"

"Smelled like cigarettes. I'm a light sleeper ya'know."

"You smell guilt too?" Dally asked in a hoarse voice. Darry squinted his eyes at him suspiciously.

He pat his hand on Dally's shoulder reassuringly,"I'm sure what you did ain't that bad."

Dally licked his lips nervously, his eyes hard,"All I did was do it for Johnny..."

Darry's eyes widened in shock and a hint of anger,"You have something to do with Johnny and Pony missing?"

"Don't get mad Darry--" Dally warned straightforwardly.

"Don't get mad? Don't get mad? My brother's out there missin' and here you are clueing me that you know where he's at!"

"Well what the fuck would you do if Johnny stabbed a soc?" Dally spat defensively.

Darry shook his head, rubbing his eyes, trying to calm himself down,"So he did stab him..."

"Darry--I can't eat. I can't sleep. How's Johnny gonna get out of stabbin' some rich prick's ass?"

"What about Pony? I bet they was jumped, it could've been self defense--"

Dally let out a sarcastic laugh,"Ha! The cops will sure eat that shit up! Bravo you fuckin' genius! You outta your mind? Have ya forgotten Johnny's a greaser? We don't get fucking breaks Darry. Look at you. Even the fanciest greaser like you couldn't get out of this--"

Dally couldn't finish his sentence, since he dodged an impatient fist to the face. Darry and Dally glared at each other, long enough for their eyes to level and balance over. Like fighting fire with fire. Darry sighed and sat back down on the small house porch, trying not to think since his thoughts would only cycle back to Ponyboy. Dally bit his lip, still bitterly thinking of a way to help Johnny.

Darry's voice broke,"It's my fault. I should've listened to Soda, I should've been easier on the kid. Instead I go on and hit him,"he stifled a sigh,"I swear it wasn't even that hard..."

Dally clenched his lips thoughtfully when he looked at Darry. There was only one think he could say.

"You know. I need a brother like you. One that slaps me across the face hurlin' back to reality once in a while."

Darry smirked softly,"I could slap you right now."

"Don't," Dally said dangerously, but not dangerous enough to sound menacing. He could never sound menacing to Darry.

"You dig okay Dally," Darry responded, averting any eye contact.

Dally nodded,"You're alright i guess."

Darry reached something from his pocket. A white piece of paper with written words was grasped by his hand. He handed it to Dally.

"I didn't wanna believe it, but Soda said you'd might know where Pony and Johnny is. Soda wrote this. I'd write too, but I'd rather apologize in person. If you know where they are give it to Pony. Tell Johnny we say hi."

Dally grabbed the paper like it was nothing and jammed it in his pocket,"I will."

"And Dally?"

"Ya?"

"You give me a call if you need one."

"Darry you don't owe me anything."

"No Dally. I only do this cause your my friend. I'm sure you'd jump into flames for your friends too."

"I hope not," Dally replied grimly, walking away. Darry smiled, cause he knew very well Dally didn't come to his home for some sleep.

And that's be the last of the many midnight talks Darry and Dally would have had. If Dally would've known this, he would've told Darry thanks, for believing in a hood like him. And if Darry would have known this, he would have insisted in letting Dally sleep over at their home. He would've done things so differently...