Twelfth

MERRY CHRISTMAS! ☆

I hope everyone is having a holly jolly day so far. Now, here's a bit of conflict for your Christmas....

_____

The next morning I wake up to nothing.

There are no footsteps through the halls, no snoring from Lou's room, no TV blaring a Quentin Tarantino movie, no whispers, and no car horns outside. Under the cotton comforter spread out on Bradley's bed, we are separate from the world, secure in each other's embrace.

In all the places I've been before, none of them have felt as right as this one.

Bradley's arm is wrapped firmly around my waist, holding me close to him. His soft breath caressing the back of my neck causes goosebumps to appear and the warmth of his body pressed against mine could put me right back to sleep.

I can't remember what time we finally went to sleep. We were up late discussing things from books to movies, to family to graduation. I learned a lot of things I didn't know about Bradley, like how his favorite movie is Hitman because he grew up playing the video game with his Dad. "When things were good," he said. Or how his first kiss was in 5th grade and after it happened the girl ran away screaming.

I tell him about the Ladurée bakery in Manhattan, how they have the best desserts in the world and the most delicious macarons I've ever tasted. I tell him how my Dad sends me a box of a dozen macarons for every holiday and they are usually gone before the day is over.

A couple times I was going to bring up leaving after graduation to live with either my Dad or sister in New York, but each time I chickened out. The whole night was so amazing and stress-free. Somehow I managed to forget about all the problems circling around me. It was so simple, yet exactly what I needed.

Bradley begins to stir behind me. I stretch out a little, causing him to tighten his arm around me. He mumbles something into my hair.

I turn slightly. "What?"

He mumbles again. I turn around all the way until I'm facing him.

"Good morning," he repeats in a raspy morning voice, his eyes still closed.

"Morning," I say, tangling my legs with his and scooting as close to him as possible. His arms hug me to his body as he kisses me lazily, still half asleep.

On the bedside table, my phone starts to sing. Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry destroys the peaceful quiet. It pull away from Bradley.

"Forget it," he murmurs as I turn over, running kisses down my neck.

"I can't," I say reluctantly, glancing at the caller ID. "It's my Mom."

"Hello?" I whisper into the phone after leaving a very frustrated Bradley alone in his bed. I'm standing just outside his bedroom door.

"Hi, honey. How are you?" I'm surprised to hear her voice meek and light. This is the voice I remember growing up with, when she would take Alice and me to see the zoo lights at Christmas time or when we'd spend the day exploring thrift stores.

"I'm alright. How are you?" I ask, keeping my voice quiet so I don't wake anyone.

"Things are fine here. I just wanted to check in. Why are you whispering?"

"I'm the only one awake. Your voice sounds.... different."

She laughs lightly, and I savor the sound. "Things are looking up, Georgia."