Chapter 3 - Knives

We spent the next few hours on the out skirts of the woods with a knife each. We were practicing throwing them at the trees to pass time. I found it easier to get the hang of than Daryl but once he had it, he gained way more skill from it.

"Hey, I bet if you stand in front of that tree, I can get one knife above your head and one between your knees." He stated confidently, throwing another knife at the tree, it hit in the middle of a hollow. He was a good aim. "Right, so you're willing to put my life at risk just to win a bet?" I scowled but not in a nasty way, a sort of playful way rather. "What d'you mean? Risking your life?" He smirked. "Your life is perfectly safe, as if I would hit you."

"There's a chance, we've only been doing this for a few hours." I replied. "So you don't trust me?" He asserted. Collecting the knife from the bark. "No, I do trust you just not to throw a knife at me," I laughed. "Fine, whatever, let's go back." He shrugged, trailing after me.

We were almost back to camp when suddenly I heard a loud thud right next to my ear. It made me jump as I looked over and saw a knife, blade first, stuck in the tree next to my head. "Yes!" I heard Daryl cheer from behind me. I saw him with his hands in the air, cheering in celebration as he ran towards me. "Told you so," He grinned, taking the knife back. "Bastard," I muttered under my breath and carried on walking.

"Nah, come on, don't go moody on me." He laughed running next to me and taking my hand but I shook him off. "Layla," He raised his eyebrows, standing in front of me so I couldn't go back to camp. He held my waist loosely. "I said, I told you so," He repeated flippantly, purposefully trying to wind me up.

I sighed and looked into his shady blue eyes, making my knees fall weak. His eyes - they were deep and catastrophic, a vivid baby blue as a great body of water that softly melted into a milky turquoise. This close, I could see the flecks of silver in his eyes. Looking at them was like swimming in the ocean. Deep, blue, crystal-like, mesmerizing, a void free of gravity. Beautiful and loved yet so dangerous. They sparkled like the way the sun shines off the rippling water, the golden light warped and twisted in the irises. No description can truly capture its mysterious majesty, yet only a few words can express its beauty.

He had the kind of face that stopped you in your tracks. I guess he must get used to that, the sudden pause in my natural expression when I look his way followed by overcompensating with a nonchalant gaze and a weak smile. However, he got better the more I looked. His rich chocolate hair that had tousled griminess which promised finesse. He had distinct cheekbones and an angular jaw, his pale skin complementing his other features.