Off With The Skyfire!

Moon shifted closer to Sophie. Now that she looked closer, Sophie could distinguish two silver scales at the corner of the dragon's eyes, reminding her of sideways teardrops.

    "Do you know why I can't read your mind, Sophie?" Moon swept her tail sideways, accidentally sending a sloth flying. "It's weird. You seem to be different. Well," she laughed, "maybe not seem to be different. You are different."

    "You can talk!" piped Kinkajou.

    The pale dragon's features softened. "She -- it's a she, right? -- kind of reminds me of Bandit. But with a different fur color and more cloths all over." 

    "I don't know," Sophie said to Moon. It was her impenetrable mind that was at work here, she supposed. But perhaps it would be better to not give away too much information. The dragons had closed in on her, making a tight circle, and a fourth one had joined them without any questions. This new dragon had pale yellow scales and a scorpion-like tail curled over its back. Sophie knew she wouldn't be able to slip away unnoticed, since she was the center of attention, but these creatures didn't seem to want to hurt her.

    Sophie paused to listen. Now that she thought about it -- the surprise of the dragons had made her forget about reading their minds -- she couldn't read Moon's mind, either. Or, for that matter, any of the other dragons' minds. All she could feel was a faint humming noise, like a heater. Were they blocking Sophie?

    That decided it. "I can't read your minds either," she said carefully. "But I guess that's normal, right?"

    Kinkajou gasped. "You can read minds?"

    Moon looked warily at Sophie. Was this little scavenger bluffing? She had never heard of scavengers reading minds. Although, she had also never heard of one talking, either.

    The sand-colored dragon squinted their eyes. "Moon, are you sure this is safe?"

    Moon shifted her weight onto her haunches, sitting down. "No," she replied evenly. This was too confusing! A talking scavenger? What did it mean? Suddenly, a thought occurred to her. "Guys, can you take off the skyfire? It will only be for a moment," she added hastily. "I want to see what will happen."

    Qibli glanced at Moon. "Are you sure? I-I mean," he stuttered. "Well, if we take it off, you can read our minds, too. But, that's fine by me, if you really want to."

    Moon smiled warmly. "Thanks, Qibli. Plus, this isn't for me. I think, just maybe, the skyfire is messing with Sophie's 'mind reading.'" If she even has mind reading, Moon thought, hesitant.

    Kinkajou nodded with agreement. Winter shrugged. "I guess. I don't really mind." [Haha, see what I did there? I didn't even mean to make a pun xD]

    "What's skyfire?" Sophie questioned. There had never been some object that could block telepathy, right? Had these dragons found a way to block telepathy? Not even elves had figured that out.

    "It's a rock that can prevent mind-reading," Moon winced, flicking her tail. Saying it out loud was uncomfortable, even to a scavenger.

    "I've never heard of that before, but we can try," said Sophie. The dragons all glanced at each other, and one by one they took off bracelets, necklaces, and charms.

    The noise was a blast to Sophie's mind. She clutched her head and focused on trying to block it out. The mental traffic was deafening -- who knew dragons had such loud thoughts? Who even knew dragons had thoughts?

    Moon studied Sophie closely. She had already tucked her friends' thoughts away, but this scavenger was in agony. As she watched, the girl slowly lowered her hands and steadied her breathing. Maybe the creature wasn't lying about having telepathy.

    As she got her mind under control, Sophie listened to the thoughts. The sharp, cold one was probably Winter's. Why is that scavenger reacting like that? Do all scavengers read minds? I hope Moon doesn't read my thoughts. Is the scavenger reading my thoughts right now? Is she listening in? It's all so confusing. Can it hear me right now?  Winter returned Sophie's gaze. Wow, maybe she can hear me! Wait, I mean, of course not. Scavengers don't read thoughts! Or maybe they do... Winter swallowed, glancing away from Sophie.

    Sophie smiled at Winter. Dragon thoughts aren't that intimidating, she thought. This one's was kind of adorable. In a cute animal kind of way.

    She then turned her attention to the sand-colored one, Qibli. Moon was talking quietly with him, explaining what was going on. He nodded quickly and fixed his gaze on Sophie. Hello, was all Sophie could make out in the rush of what seemed like a bajillion other thoughts going on at once.

    "Woah," Sophie said softly, then shook her head and blinked, trying to focus on one thought, to no prevail. 

    Qibli flashed a grin. "Too much for you, huh?"

    Sophie frowned and tried to sort through all of his thoughts, then rubbed her temples. "Ouch. Dragons are loud. Louder than humans are."

    Kinkajou shuffled her feet. "Have you gotten to me yet?" she blurted out, excitement in her eyes. "Wait, are you already on me? Can you hear my thoughts? What am I thinking?"

    Sighing, Sophie shook her head, "I just can't sort through yours. It's too loud and.. hectic." She turned turned towards Kinkajou and concentrated. This time, the thoughts were simple, but fleeting. Easily distracted.

    "You're thinking... What is it going to say? Can it actually read thoughts? etc. But, er, don't call me an 'it,' please."

    "Oh, okay!"

    "So... what now?" said Winter, leaving an awkward silence.