Chapter 3: Rey

A/N: Vote and comment!

What do you think Rey will do next?

Reply in the comments!
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I flash a smug smile toward Kylo. I can't help but feel rather satisfied with myself. After all, the great Kylo Ren stands before me, ready to admit his story.

Kylo stiffens as he begins to speak. "Wel-"

I shake my head and interrupt him. "If we're going to do this, you have to relax. It won't do any good if you're stiff as a board."

He takes a deep breath, "F-Fine." And forces his muscles to loosen.

"It all started when I was young. My parents and I were never really that close. Of course, they tried to get past the walls I'd built around myself, but all that did was make those same walls even higher. Years came and went, and we were farther apart than ever. They finally decided to send me away with Luke Skywalker, my mother's infamous twin." He lets out a bitter chuckle. His voice rises in anger as he continues. "Surely he could fix me, right? After all, a great Jedi like Skywalker would be able to heal my corruption with a little pep-talk.

I hate to admit it, but Skywalker did accomplish something. It was his teachings that helped me harness the powers of the Force. That's when Snoke came into the picture, twisting my mind more and more with the legends of Vader my parents neglected to pass on. I attempted to challenge Luke, but he refused into isolation to flee like the coward he was. And that's how my story ends."

I'm almost certain my gaze is misted with the great irritation I feel inside. It isn't until later that I realize pity or remorse would be more appropriate, but I couldn't muster those feeling. Kylo had everything I ever wanted: a home, family, and a chance to do something better with his life. Was too much to wish for all of this for myself? To look down on Kylo for his lack gratitude?

No, I don't think so.

Kylo must have caught on to my true feelings because when he speaks, there's a trace of anger in his raspy voice. The cold likely took a toll on his vocal chords, making his words come out dry and remorseless.

Or perhaps that's due to the bitter cold in his heart.

He sneers, "You don't understand! Nobody does, really. Not my parents, Phasma, or even Hux. It's unfair to think you of all people would."

I roll my eyes, "You took it all for granted. You had everything I always wanted!"

"Parents that don't support you? A disappointed uncle? A broken home?"

"Broken?!" I blurt. "Why, now you must be taunting me! My mother abandoned me in the desert, knowledge I'm gaining only now."

I turn my gaze toward the cave's opening. Layers of snow block the only available exit. I curse under my breath. I'd give anything to escape the hell of Kylo. The idea forces itself upon my notice. I focus my very life-force on the mound of snow. Quickly, he catches on. He speaks through gritted teeth.

"I don't appreciate your attempts at escape," he flicks his hand, forcing the snow to fly forward. The storm has cleared, and the path home is wide open.

But what is home? People on Jakku always said it's where the heart is. If that's the case, I have no home. My heart remains within me, encased in stone as hard as Kylo's head.

"Go home," Kylo says calmly. "Go. I won't stop you."

"What home?" I question. "The Resistance Base? Jakku?"

"I don't care. As long as you're happy, go where you please."

"How mature of you, putting my well-being before your own happiness."

He gives a small smirk. "Surprising? I find your lack of faith disturbing."

I stand up. "Thank you, Kylo. No doubt our paths will cross again."