Chapter 9: Rey

Early the next morning, my eyes fly open. Once again, I've had that dreadful nightmare. It's always the same; a man flying away on his ship, abandoning seven-year-old me to the desert terrain. Except I'd never quite been able to match a name to the face.

It was only a dream, but I'm almost certain that it was my father. He is a man I think about often. He had been the one who loved my mother. She hid the child from him, fearful of what he might do. So, she left me on Jakku. Then, he discovered he had a daughter, visited her, and chose to leave her, too.

I've always had the exact same vision, but I have always been missing a few pieces. And now, Kylo has provided them for me. He told me about my mother. Last night, though, I knew that the face belongs to my father. I can't explain it, but when I saw him, it all clicked.

It must be slightly past dawn when I reluctantly roll out of bed. In a daze, I go through my morning routine: throwing my hair into three small buns and putting on my rags. I pick up Luke's lightsaber and go out the door.

"Leia?" I say as I open her bedroom door, "I need to sign up for this mission. The one to Jakku. Can you get me on it?"

Her eyes widen in surprise. She's still in her night clothes.

"Y-Yes, of course, Rey. Just give me a second to look decent, okay?"

I roll my eyes, "Yes, General." And I wait.

When it becomes apparent that she won't be done anytime soon, I step outside the door and wait, my head pressed against the wall.

God, could she take any longer? I think to myself.

Eventually, Leia emerges in her clothes from the previous day, her hair in a large bun. She smiles apologetically and murmurs something about having a rough night.

"It's fine," I reply. "Dreams?"

She nods. "Han. Can't seem to get him off my mind."

"I understand. But about that mission...?"

"Already settled. Don't worry, Rey, you're on it," a wide smile stretches across her wrinkly features. "Ben is, too, according to Finn."

I raise an eyebrow, "He told you?!"

Surely Kylo would kill Finn for telling her. Right? After all, I wouldn't put it past him. He's trying so hard to make himself better, but Finn's slip-up could ruin it all.

Leia nods, "Go on, now! They're about to leave."

"Y-Yeah..." And with that, I close the door behind me.