The words that would stay. (genre - history; love)

T H E  w o r d s  t h a t  w o u l d  S T A Y.

Ilaa sat on the banks of the mighty Godavari river, having abandoned work at the cotton field for more than an hour, mumbling to herself. Her pale face had an expression that almost looked strained and broken, and helpless. 

'I am sick of this!' she grunted loudly. The previous day's events and those of the days that was to come, terrified her. She badly wanted time to still; she was not ready for any of this, not at all. 

She was someone who held onto her values and beliefs, even when others started to think she was a ridiculous person. She had an idea, a thought, and a solution, to every plausible problem. That was also the reason she was loved by the better half of the village's population and disliked by the other.

Life in the village had heated up like the desert at this point. But why? 

Because Ilaa happened to have fallen in love. 

She was the talk of the town, the topic of discussion under every tree, under every roof.

She did know falling in love for woman was forbidden, unless she was that dirty. But she also knew love was divine. Her grandmother, who was every bit similar to Ilaa, had told her a love story which was very very old, which happened centuries back, when women were still allowed to fall in love. The man had stunned the woman, into complete speechlessness, with his charming face, and charming heart. They were a happily ever after couple.

Ilaa did know her love story wouldn't be a fairy tale, blame the century it chose to take place! She always wished she had born in a richer family, where people could have understood her. Then she remembered what her grandmother had told her, society was always the same. 

They only gave you two choices - one, to listen and obey to what they say, two, to rebel and go against them. She went with the second choice, because she wanted to live the life, she knew she deserved. That was also the reason why she held her head high, with no shame when the villagers caught her (without a face covering) with Dushyant dead at night, on a river bank.

Dushyant was a man of dignity, from another middle class family of their village. With a sun tanned face, and well built body, he was the dream guy of every girl. But he was Ilaa's reality. They didn't feel love at first sight, nor even at the hundredth sight. They only always quietly observed and admired each other, not ever wanting the other to notice. 

They considered each other masterpieces among God's splendid creations. Destiny was smart though, and circumstances provoked them to confess that they were falling for each other. It was a short conversation, as if it was written and scripted eons ago.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" She had asked, removing the piece of cloth that covered her face.

"As if you don't look at me. Why do you do that?" He questioned with a smirk on his face, suddenly snapping her out of her dream world.

"Because you are handsome and charming. Because, I like you."

He had sighed, as if he knew this was coming. "Same here."

It was that quick, and perfect. They met secretly, silently at midnight. Talked in hushed whispers, shared happiness and sorrows, and went back home before the rise of the sun. Yet they fell in love madly and deeply in a matter of hours.

They knew the future would be terrifying. That, there would be no one who would tell them it was alright. Nevertheless, they held on strongly. That's what love did to him and her, gave them the courage to face the inevitable.