Fireflies. (genre - fantasy)

Fireflies.

The little girls, squealing in the most high-pitched voice ever, stumbled through the backyard. In the midst of midnight, the sky shone in a pitch black colour, and not even a glint of moonlight reached through. The kids must have been terrified, but they weren't. They didn't even seem to notice the dark, let alone be scared of it.

They chased the creatures of light - the fireflies, whose light flickered in the dark, as they desperately tried to get away from the girls, who were running with glass cans to catch the little creatures.

"I will buy dark chocolates with them, you see." Smile was telling her sister. Her sister, Grin frowned. "Dark chocolates? Yuck. Bitter. Come on, Smiley. Let's buy coffee."

Smile made a disgusted face, "Coffee? That sucks. Bitter bitter bittery bitter."

In the dark, only their voices were heard through and hence they never saw the glares they were giving each other. "Whatever, Grin. Let's first catch these. Chocolate or coffee, the shopkeeper won't give anything for less than five flies."

The girls' glass cans, with their mouths wide open, swallowed the fireflies like a gigantic monster. Within half an hour, they had four fireflies in four glass cans- yes, the girls were good at this stuff.

They ran through the night, in search of their final prey, and their extended pupils suddenly dilated, as light - larger than the light of a firefly - shone through the night.

Grin, as innocent as she was, muttered, "There is a big one."

She lunged with all her strength and concentration, calculating the firefly's move. A quick jump, and.. the fly was in the can, sealed and packed.

"YOU DID IT GRINNY," Smile squealed in glee. Grin blushed, her face as red as a tomato, but invisible in the ghostly night.

The air was suddenly broken by a loud, thunderish, "You bitches. LET ME OUT."

The girls looked down at their newly filled can and frowned, "Oh my god, Smile. This firefly can talk."

The fly swore inside the can, a long swear that made the girls go eww. "The firefly has no manners," Smile stated.

"Manners, my foot. What on earth do you think you are doing, chipmunks?" The firefly asked, more calmer this time around. "And how dare you call me a firefly? Can't you see I am way larger, smarter and beautiful than them?"

The faces of the girls fell immediately. "You are not a firefly?" And then they started blabbering undecipherable words to each other. "How will we buy chocolate if she is not a firefly?"

"How will we buy coffee?"

"Let's catch another one and let her go?"

"Great idea, bitches!" The creature, that was not a firefly, complimented.

But the girls' eyes were met with a blank dark sky with no flickering lights. The fireflies had all left.

-*-*-*-*

"You seriously think he will be fooled?" Smile asked Grin, nervous as she clutched onto the bags with the firefly cans.

"If she keeps quiet, then maybe."

"I am not keeping quiet." A voice came from inside the bag. The sisters rolled their eyes in irritation.

The shopkeeper greeted the girls with his best smile as they handed the bag over to him. As he was arranging the cans on the table, he asked them, "What do you want for this?"

"Dark chocolate."

"Coffee."

"Dark chocolate.

They glared at each other and the shop keepers eyes fell on the creature that was in the last box. She was screaming, "LET ME OUT."

As the girls looked at each other nervously, the lips of the shopkeeper curved to form an evil smile.

He handed them a big bag of chocolate and two coffee cups, and the girls squealed away happily - unaware of what had they done.

The creature, quiet in her can, had started crying.

In a sly voice, the man asked her, "You can never escape me. Can you, little fairy?"

A/N

Thanks for reading people! His book has neared 200 views and that makes me so freakin' happy. Thank you do much for everything!

This was initially written for a mini game in in a book club and now I hough I can add it to my little collection. Again, thank you for reading!

Vote, comment and share please.

Vote, most importantly. :P

Love,
Lina!