Hero

Why am I doing this? I... I don't like this. Make it stop!

I watch myself tie up Emilia. She's so beautiful, I hate this, she hates me.

"Just wait until Jason gets here, he'll stop you and free me you worthless wretch!" She screams.

"Ah, truly touching. Romeo and Juliet. Kill yourselves why dont you?" The words coming out of my mouth aren't mine. I love her. I would never say that.

Why? Why am I doing this? I hate everything about this! That's right...

***

Blurred, voices surround me.

"Jason Eliot, you've chosen her for this act?"

"That's right, get the implant in her brain already."

"It'll be a risky operation, her head has already suffered multiple injuries as punishment for her restraint."

"Does it matter? I'm supposed to be this great hero to save the city. Make this chick the antagonist already."

I don't want this, please, let me stay the way I am!

"What is her name?"

"It's Caroline Adams, change it to Rachel Sweeney."

"Understood, sir."

***

His money. That's what gives him his superiority.

"I hope you burn in hell you rotten sicko!" Emilia shouts again, struggling within the ropes.

"I have a name you know. It's Rachel Sweeney."

No... that's not me. It isn't! I swear!

I want to cry. I can't.

"You've killed so many people, so many lives lost, all because of you!" Her red hair fell onto her face, her green, angry, eyes locking with my grey ones.

I walk over, pushing a piece of red hair behind her ear. She jerks her head back.

"Cute. You still have some will left to fight." The door to the warehouse opens and Jason walks in. Emilia's eyes light up, watching as her "savior " walks in.

"Your awful late." I spit, staring at him.

"Emilia, stay put." He says, taking a step forward.

"Not so fast." I chuckle, grabbing a gun and pointing it at Emilia's head.

No! No no no! Please, please don't!

I already know the implant has taken over, I can't do anything.

Jason looks terrified. It's fake I know it. Something flashes in his eyes for a moment. He draws his gun and aims it at me.

"Terrifying, truly." I sarcastically remark. Jason quickly drags the gun down and shoots Emilia in the head.

No! Why!?
I want to die. Why her? I'd rather he shot me instead!

"There goes your leverage. Now," He shoots the side of my head and I collapse, pain taking over, I feel a part of me slip out.

"Now listen, you're going to die here, and come with me. I'm going to be a hero and you'll be the villain I finally overtook. Poor little Emilia here will become the tragic maiden who fell at the hands of evil."

I feel blank, watching Emilia brings me heartache. She didn't deserve to die.

Something burns within me. I rise up and look at my blood on the floor, a small silver rectangle.

"Oh, jeez I know you're supposed to be high and mighty but, in reality, you're at my command."

"No." I can finally control myself. I grab another rope and tackle Jason, squeezing the rope tighter and tighter around his neck. He flails aimlessly, his gun firing all around. I watch as his eyes roll back into his head.

Police cars have crashed into the building. Their faces are in shock.

I've just murdered the "Hero" of the whole city.

"Rachel has murdered Jason!"

"I'm not Rachel. I'm Caroline." I say, tears streaming down my face.

"Caroline would never do this." The officer puts the gun to my head.

"Die, scum."