Feelings

I sit in the back of the class, staring out the window. How boring.

"Is this seat taken?" I hear, turning to find a boy asking about the seat next to me. I've never seen him before, he must be new.

"No, it's not." I say, wanting to keep my answer as short as possible. He takes it and opens up a book. Me being the genius I am, I accidentally flick my pen out of my fingers and onto his desk.

"Ah, here you go." He smiles, handing me the pen.

"Thanks, sorry." I mutter, taking the pen with a flat expression despite dying internally from embarrassment.

"That's alright." He smiles again. What's up with this guy?

"Why do you smile so much?" I blurt, being straight forward. He looks taken aback from the question, like he wasn't expecting it.

"W-Well I'm not sure. I guess I just like smiling!" Again. I turn away from him and return to my piece of paper, completely blank. I sigh and check my watch, 12:00. At least an hour until the teacher gets back.

Maybe, I mean, I've done it before. How's this any different?

I glance over at his desk, making sure he's completely engrossed in his book. Great. I begin the outline of his face, trying to capture every detail. I'm finished in about half an hour. I stare at it, somewhat unsatisfied.

"Oh! You drew me!" I hear him say in awe. I panic and attempt to cover it up.

"What? W-Why are you looking at my desk?" I ask, feeling an intrusion of my privacy. Way to be a hypocrite, Tara.

"Well, I got bored, so I wanted to see what you were doing." He says, like it's obvious.

"Oh."

"Can I see it?" He asks. I take my arm off the desk and allow him to take it.

"Sure." His eyes widen as he takes a closer glance at the picture.

"You're really good!" He says in shock, a big goofy grin on his face.

"T-Thanks. You can keep it." I mumble. He sits back down in his desk.

"What's your name?" He asks.

"Tara, what about yours?"

"Ethan." He smiles, turning more to me.

"Cool."

"Do you want to hang out sometime? It doesn't have to be anything crazy or anything." He offers, looking at me eagerly. I smile a little, amused by his child-like behavior.

"Sure."

***

I walk home with Ethan. It's been about three months since we first met, and I can't deny these feelings I have, no matter how hard I try. I just can't.

It's everything. His smile, his voice, his personality, everything. My heart beats faster, I become more cheerful- Dammit! I've fallen, hard.

We walk down the road, beautiful stars scattering across the sky as far as I can see. I've been a little worried about him lately. He seemed a little off. Maybe he had family troubles or something.

"Tara! do you want to go to the park?" He asks, giddy and eager for my response.

"Sure!" I smile, I can take this chance to talk to him. We walk into the park, the streetlamps giving off a golden light. There's no one around to eavesdrop.

"Tara, can I tell you something?" He asks, scratching the back of his head.

"Of course, you can tell me anything!" He takes a deep breath.

"Tara... I-I've developed feelings for..." I feel my brain soar away, not giving me any chance to think. Then it comes racing back, reminding me that I shouldn't get my hopes too high.

"F-For who?" I ask, fear and joy taking over my heart at the same time.

"J-Just close your eyes." He asks, looking nervous. I do as he says, waiting for whatever comes next.

Then it happens. A warm feeling on my mouth, casting out the cold air and taking its place. A strange feeling in my stomach, making me feel strange throughout my whole body. An foreign taste on my lips, what is this?

I fall to the ground, coughing up a crimson substance. What? There's a sickening metallic taste in my mouth and an excruciating pain under my rib cage. I struggle to breathe, gasping for breath. I look up, helpless from the floor.

"E-Ethan?" I ask, watching the sweet smile I once knew turn into a sickening smirk I quickly despised.

"Did you really think I loved you?" He laughs, crouching next to me. He yanks the knife out of my stomach, twisting it before holding it in his hands.

I let out a yelp as the pain grows. Ethan- No, this psychopath tricked me. I take heavy breaths, feeling my blood pour out of me.

"I'm glad I didn't hit any vital organs! That means you'll die slowly, right?" He smiles, a chipper grin on his face.

"Y'know, I always wondered what it was like, to kill someone that is. I honestly can't get enough. Your helpless face, your blood dripping everywhere, it interests me so." He laughs, watching the blood drip down the knife.

"W-Why?" I ask, struggling in what were futile attempts to get up.

"Why not? It's not like you have anything to go back to. I did my research." He says, grabbing my ankle. I'm too weak to move. I can't do a thing. He drags me to the darker areas of the park.

I try to grip at the ground, unable to think straight.

"H-Help..." I try to call out, my voice cracking.

"No use." I hear, falling into a nothing.