Chapter Fifteen

'What- what do you mean?' asked Max, now confused and shocked, forcing him to believe it wasn't as he was thinking.

'You very well know that, don't you?' replied Joe, with an essence of dignity. 'We have the exact same powers. They told me it all. They said, in my mind that day, that I wasn't meant to die in a mere World War. They said I was better than the rest of the humans. I tried to commit suicide, but it wasn't even worth a try.'

'I did the same, but the bullets reflected off me. As if I had a power greater. But, the question I've been asking myself for days is, who, or what am I?'

First Joe raised an eyebrow, then told his comrade he'd experienced the same thing. After a long conversation, which concluded no decisions, Max Perevel asked Joe, 'What do we do now?'

'Now? There's no now. Soon my oxygen cylinders are gonna end, and I'm gonna die. By the way, how did you manage...' Joe's voice cut off at seeing Max without a cylinder. He hadn't paid much attention to it then; he couldn't help but ignore it now. He pointed at Max, horrified, but Max understood his expressions, and then smiled.

'We're sea mermaids, aren't we? I don't know what exactly happened, but I realized I could breathe. I mean, if we do have same powers, then...remove your spacesuit, Sir Ranger.' Max smirked. (pranjaliaditi reference *coughs*)

Joe trusted him with his life. Smiling back, he pushed a lever (which was nothing more than the size of a middle finger) located on the helmet of the spacesuit. It opened, and with some difficulty, came a smile.

A smile that assured Max was right.