fourteen || elver

Elver jumped at the sound of his phone ringing.

“Hello?”

“Hi Elver, we’re going into town, wanna come?” It was his friend, Liam.

“Yeah, sure,” Elver said, though he didn’t really want to.

“Meet you there in ten.” And the line went dead.Elver sighed, slung his bag over his shoulder and set off, scribbling a note on the way. He was the first up though he didn’t know why; teenage boys were meant to sleep all day, weren’t they? It was different for Elver that day: either he had got up really early or his family were late to wake.

“Hi,” said Liam as Elver pulled up next to a crowd of boys.

“Hi,” Elver said, lamely and unenthusiastically.

“We’ve got a treat for you.” Liam grinned a little disturbingly.

“Oh yeah?”

“We’re going girl hunting,” he said, dragging Elver out of his car and slamming the door.

“What the heck is girl hunting?” asked Elver, although he had an idea in his head.

“It’s pretty self-explanatory, we’re going to go and hunt some girls down,” said one of the boys that Elver didn’t recognize.

“Oh,” said Elver, thinking of Alaska. “That sounds a bit primal and unnecessary. I mean, hunting? That screams future murderer.”

“Oh what? Elver’s already got a girlfriend, has he? Has he?” said Liam, putting on a baby voice and pouting, showing off to the guys.

“Er, no,” Elver said, kicking himself. It was half true: he liked Alaska, he just wasn’t sure if Alaska liked him.

“Right, this is prime girl shopping trip time, they’ll be in the clothes shops and the make-up shops wherever they are,” Liam said. Elver lagged behind, wishing he was anywhere else. He felt like he was betraying Alaska.

“Even though she’s probably got a boyfriend,” he grumbled to himself. Elver almost bumped into Liam as he stopped suddenly and put a finger to his lips.

“Shh, look at them. Shotgun the one on the end,” Liam whispered. Elver shivered – nothing to do with the cold, he just felt guilty. Girls weren’t something to shotgun, they were people, people to love. He frowned and caught up with the others.

“What’s happened to Jenny? I thought you really liked her,” Elver asked Liam, his brow furrowed.

“Nothing’s happened to Jenny,” said Liam, flashing Elver a mischievous grin. Elver didn’t get the hint.

“So, why are we girl hunting if you’re still with Jenny?” asked Elver, not liking where this was heading.

“Jesus, Elver, use your brain, I’m still with Jenny, but she’s getting boring. It would be nice to have a girlfriend that’s actually interested in the things you do, you know?” said Liam, losing his smile.

“So you want to two-time,” said Elver, suddenly feeling angry, “on someone who’s interested in your girl hunting activities?”

“Yeah, basically.” Liam was an oblivious idiot.

“Why don’t you just dump Jenny?” asked Elver, even more confused.

“She’s all clingy and annoying, she’d just cry and shout – it’s not worth it,” drawled Liam. Elver didn’t like this version of Liam. They were supposed to be friends, but two-timing, seriously? He was angry and confused. Liam and Jenny had been going for years and now suddenly he wanted to just dump her and meet someone new. It didn’t make sense and this wasn’t like Liam at all – then again, Elver didn’t recognize most of the boys there, maybe Liam was just trying to show off to some cool kids.

Elver’s feet were getting sore after all the walking, Liam had got about seven girls’ numbers and was cackling with delight, nobody else was so fortunate. About seven of the twelve boys (not including Elver) had tried to chat up a girl, but all of them had looked away in disgust. Liam really knew how to turn on the charm, even if it was cringey and gross. Girls seemed to go for it. They were idiots, Elver concluded.

“Er, Liam, I better get back now, er, Mum wants me for lunch,” Elver said unsurely, he didn’t know if his mum wanted him back – he just wanted to get away from those people.

“What? The party’s just starting. We’re going on to my house afterwards, staying the night. You have to come,” said Liam.

“Oh, I can’t. I haven’t got any of my stuff with me.” Elver was now desperately thinking of any excuse he could to get away.

“No worries, we’ll stop off at yours on the way,” said Liam.

“Oh, I’ve just remembered, I’m meant to be making supper tonight, Mum’ll flip if I don’t,” said Elver, telling himself off for thinking of such a lame excuse. Liam just raised his eyebrows, eyed Elver for a second as if he was some sort of weirdo, then twisted on his heel to talk about girls with the rest of the boys, completely excluding Elver from the group. Elver sighed, muttered a goodbye and was about to go back to his car when he heard his phone beeping in his pocket.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Elver.”

“Alaska, is that you?”

“Yep, I kind of need your help, a bit. Can you meet me by the corner shop as soon as possible? I have a problem,” she said.

“Yeah sure,” said Elver, trying to sound casual while actually doing a happy dance in his head. Alaska needed him.