twenty || elver

• Dedicated to our very own two fish

Elver’s heart plummeted.

“Oh,” he said, sinking down onto the chair in defeat.

“Well, this changes things,” Alaska said, a frown spreading across her face.

“What do we do, Alaska? That was the only way to save the car,” Elver said, feeling the familiar feeling of tears tickling his eyes.

“Oh god, are you crying?” Alaska said, trying to stop herself from laughing. Elver looked up and glared at her.

“How would you like it if I took Gordon away?” Elver grumbled. Alaska frowned,

“That’s different, Gordon’s a fi-” Alaska started, but was interrupted.

“No it isn’t. You hate cars, so you don’t understand what it’s like for me. I hate fish, so I don’t know what it would be like for you. It’s not different at all,” Elver said flatly. Alaska just nodded slowly and gave an apologetic smile.

“Well, you’ll just have to learn to love your new car,” She said, the comment coming out sharper than she had meant. Elver looked shocked, as if she’d just told him that an African Elephant was living in the back garden.

“How?” Elver asked. Alaska shrugged.

“You’ll have to drive in it, get  feel for how it works, make that connection you had with your old car.”

“It doesn’t work like that,” Elver said, throwing his hands up in frustration. Alaska looked a  little taken aback.

“Ok, I’m sorry,” she said in a small voice. Elver calmed a little.

“No, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped out like that, it’s just … argh! It’s so annoying, I can’t believe Mum would do this without asking me,” Elver groaned. It was then he noticed the silhouette of a slight figure in the doorway.

“Do what? What did I do, Elver?”

Elver’s heart dropped. “Mum, no, it’s nothing.” came a lame excuse.

“Tell me, Elv. What did I do?” Elver could hear the wobble in his mother’s voice – she was about to cry. Alaska glanced from Elver to his mother, looking too scared to say a thing.

“Mum, honestly, it’s nothing,” Elver said, running a hand through his hair. His mother’s voice grew firmer.

“Elver, tell me now.” Elver paused and took two deep breaths. He didn’t know how this could end, but he wasn’t looking forward to it.

“Ok, mum. You want the truth? I don’t want a new car. I love my car more than anything, and I’m so grateful of you getting that amazing black one, but, well, I hate it,” Elver babbled.

“What?”

“Mum, don’t make me say it again.” Elver was worried he’d made his mother cry, but instead she just looked utterly defeated. It was worse, somehow.

“Oh, Elv. I’m so sorry. I never thought about asking you. You should be angry at me. I thought you’d love it, I thought the one you have is so old, and then I remembered Roger telling me about this old car they had and they were thinking of getting rid of …” she trailed off, her eyes reflecting a mix of different feelings.

“Mum, please don’t be upset,” Elver whispered.

“I’m so sorry, Elv.”

“It’s fine, I’ll get used to this new one,” he insisted.

“I wish I could just go back in time.”

“Don’t worry Mum,” Elver said in his softest voice. His mother just stood up and left without saying a word. Elver let out a heavy sigh, and Alaska shuffled over to sit by him.

“I’m sorry about that, Elver,” Alaska said.

“I feel awful,” Elver moaned. “She looked so hurt. I’m such a bad human being.”

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine,” Alaska reassured him.

“How?”

“All will be fine,” she said in an wise old man’s voice, hoping to make him laugh, but she didn’t even get a smile.

“I just want to be swallowed up and never seen again,” Elver said, dwelling on what just happened.

“Well, I could sneak into the school science lab and grab the sulphuric acid. The teachers have trusted me with the code,” Alaska said with a big grin. Elver couldn’t supress a small smile.

“I don’t think I’d go that far,” he said.

“Well, I’m just giving you plenty of options.”

“Oh, thanks,” Elver said, nudging Alaska and almost toppling her off the chair. As he did he got a waft of her perfume: it reminded him of the beach, fruity and exotic. It smelled delicious and he inhaled deeply, though he was sniffing too loudly: Alaska whipped round and fixed him with an accusing glare. He blushed.

“Sorry it’s just, your perfume. It’s nice.” Elver smiled and then it was Alaska blushing.

“Thanks,” she mumbled, suddenly seeming very interested in a fly on the wall.

“Why do you seem so shocked?” Elver asked.

“It’s just, I’m not used to being complimented.” She smiled shyly.

“Well, you know now.” Elver suddenly brightened. “Alaska, do you know how to drive?”

“No.”

“Well, I think it’s time you learnt.”